In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

H&R Top Break Revolver

mrcamelotmrcamelot Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited February 2008 in Ask the Experts
Hello, looking for some help on old H&R top break revolver. YEAR, MODEL, CAL.???
On top of barrel: HARRINGTON & RICHARDSON ARMS COMPANY. WORCESTER, MASS. U.S.A PAT. OCT. 4.'87, APR. 2.'95, APR. 7.'96
433 stamped on cylinder and serial number located below break handle 38435
COULD NOT FIND ANY OTHER WRITING

3" barrel, 5 shot, Silver in color, trigger guard dull black, black plastic grip with target molded into it.
Thank you

Comments

• Options
    b.goforthb.goforth Member Posts: 982
    edited November -1
    the 3 inch barrel were standard on the small frame "premier" and "h&r hammerless" models. the small frames were offered in 5 shot 32 s&w centerfire and 7 shot 22 rimfire. if hammerless this is a "H&R Hammerless" and if it has a hammer it is the "Premier Model".

the three patent date listed were used on the "First Model Premier" between 1897 and 1903 and on the "First Model Hammerless" 1899 to 1903. the "premier model" had a free wheeling cylinder until 1898 and a automatic cylinder stop 1899 and after. there are no known serial number records for these early H&R revolvers but i have studied enough of them to make some guesses as to era of manufacture. if this is a premier (hammer) model with out an automatic cylinder stop the manufacture era is 1897-1898 (this would be my first guess). if it has an automatic cylinder stop it would be 1899. if this is a first model hammerless the date would 1903.

both the 'First Model Premier (1895-1904)' and the 'First Model Hammerless (1899-1904)' were manufactured for black powder cartridge pressures and are not safe with modern smokeless ammo.

the grips are hard rubber and not plastic (aka "bakelite"), the finish is nickel, standard for that era and trigger guard is blued (standard after 1897). the target logo molded into the top of the grips was H&R standard grip logo between 1890 and 1941. if you remove the grips you will find another serial number location on the left side of the grip frame
    bill
  • Options
    mrcamelotmrcamelot Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you so much!!!!
    I removed the grip and located the second number which was 8435.
    This has a hammer and not sure what a auto cylinder stop is.

So pretty much this is a dime a dozen gun, no value. Since the type of ammo it was built for is so old, I guess I can't even shot it???

Thank you, Steve