In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

101 Winchester Combo

rfairchildrfairchild Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
edited February 2008 in Ask the Experts
I own a Winchester 101 Pigeon grade 20,28 410 gage Shotgun. Is it true only a few hundred were made of this gun??..All barrels are marked SK/SK. All have there own forearm, I have the original box but not the carry case.
Does it drop in value much if used, the 28-qnd 410 barrels have never been installed on the gun and still have the original cosmoline on them {if it was cosmoline they used } I have put the 20 gage on the gun to addmire it and cleaned it nice.. It has never been fired..But I am dieng to use it on the skeet field.
I guess i just want to know if they are that rare ??? Thanks

Comments

• duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You bought the gun to shoot. Shoot it and enjoy.
  • dg101windg101win Member Posts: 751 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am not sure how many were made of these. Back about 20 years ago or so I watched one of those change hands a few times with each owner shooting it. When it was sold each time the value held very well.
  • triple223taptriple223tap Member Posts: 385 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe Bert the Winchester expert will chime in, but I think it's true that there are not complete records on the Win 101. From what records I've seen, I believe there were 100,000 or so Pigeon grades made, so it's probably safe to think there were more than a few hundred 3 barrel skeet sets.

New, truly unfired, guns are worth more than guns which have been fired even if they are still "as new".

That first shell might cost you $1000 of the gun's valuation. I wouldn't fire it once, just to see, but if I were a dedicated sheet shooter, I might put 20K rounds through it, which might cost only another $500.

I like the 101, as I own two - one a PG skeet and one a 28" field. They're good quality, reliable, and if taken care of, hold their value.

Galazan has a non-PG nice used 3 barrel set, asking $4250. I'd guess that your gun, unfired, would bring $6500 - $7000, but I haven't actually seen one sold.

http://www.connecticutshotgun.com/guns/8929.htm
  • only winchestersonly winchesters Member Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello rfairchild: Approx. 250 of the "Pigeon small gauge" gun sets made.

Since you have the box, and being new, you have at least a $5000. gun there. If you use it, what do you think it will be worth?? I can tell you, LESS.

But it's a "Japanese" Winchester, (meaning not from New Haven) so if your an avid Skeet shooter use it, if not I wouldn't use it.

Regards Dave
  • rfairchildrfairchild Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    WOW -- Thaks for all the replies.. I bought this gun from a Professor at Yale New Haven Hospital. He never fired it . and I want to in the worst way.. So -- I guess I should go out and shoot. I did pay $3,500 a couple years ago.. And I do own a few winchesters. Mostly model 12's - I do have a trap set in the Win.101. and a featherlight 101. The thought of putting a few rounds through it still scares me..
    edited November -1
    I should also mention I love the Winchesters, and like owning them.. I really need to study the history.. That's where you guy's are great.. Thanks so much !!1
  • triple223taptriple223tap Member Posts: 385 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I did pay $3,500 a couple years ago..

You got a bargain. Shoot it, enjoy it, take care of it, and it will always be worth at least what you paid. Free shooting (sort of) of a nice gun...sucha' deal!

If you beg me, I'll put the first box of shells through it - to spare you the angst. [:)]
    edited November -1
    You are all right. The gun was made to be shot,, I never had any problem with taking a gun out and shooting.. I will hate hearing the words-"OH boy you should have never shot that gun" Because you do have others/.
    It sure is pretty -- Even in the box.. Thanks guy's !!
    Yes-- I realise I got a good deal on it..and won't be looseing anything..
    Not to mention another guy had first shot at it.. But he went to the mans house and tried to short change him.. Telling the seller he only would give him $3200..So the guy called me up and I ran over and got the gun..
    I just wished he shot it once...LOL
  • only winchestersonly winchesters Member Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    rfairchild" LOL it's alrady been shot once!! It was Proof tested!!

Enjoy

Regards Dave