In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

winchester 1200 safety

pphillipspphillips Member Posts: 187 ✭✭✭
edited July 2011 in Ask the Experts
I have a winchester model 1200 shotgun that is missing the safety. I can buy a safety, but I do not see what holds the safety in place. Is there a keeper of some sort that prevents the safety from falling out?

Thanks

Phil

Comments

• Options
    BT99BT99 Member Posts: 1,043
    edited November -1
    a "leg" of the mainspring holds it in.
  • Options
    76k2076k20 Member Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Trigger group has to be completely disassembled to install the safety. You need to get a detailed manual to disassemble/reassemble in proper order, and be wary of springs getting launched due to being under tension. Most of the 1200's moving parts are in the trigger group, and therefore it is a must to get everything in correctly, or you will likely have malfunctions. Also note that the trigger group will likely be dirty, and this is a good time to thoroughly clean it up. It has been some time since I have done one, and it took me awhile to get it done right.

If I recall correctly, the safety has to be held flush with the right side of the trigger housing when installing the spring, and one trick to this is putting a piece of tape across the right side of the trigger guard to keep the safety in place. This is probably the most tedious part of the job, because it requires everything to go exactly right. Do not force anything, or you will be looking for replacement parts.

Best of luck on your project, hope this has helped!