In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

continental arms

kartracer2000kartracer2000 Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
edited July 2008 in Ask the Experts
I was given my gradfathers saddle rifle all I can find on it is that it is a Continental Arms Co single shot, any info or value would be great , Thanks

Comments

• kartracer2000kartracer2000 Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi, I have a continental arms single shot 20 ga. that has the date 1913 on it. anyone know what its worth, it is in good shape, i just couldn't find anything on it anywhere else. thanks
    edited November -1
    I have a Continental Arms Co. single shot 20 gauge. I cannot find much on it and was wondering if anyone knew what it would be worth. Stock is in ok shape with minor scratches and dings and the barrel needs reblued. Other than that it is in good shape. Anyone know? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    Trade name used by the Marshall-Wells Company of Duluth, Minnesota on utility-grade shotguns they retailed. Check the barrel (possibly under the forearm) for "ELG" proofmarks as it may have been made in Belgium. Value is probably around $75-$125.
    edited November -1
    i looked at it and the only thing it says is WZ and 534 under the forearm stock. And, the date says Patened August 12, 1913 on top of the barrel. I don't know if any of this makes any difference. Thanks for any replys though!
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    If no Belgian proofs, it was probably made by Stevens or Davis. There isn't much collector interest in those old utility shotguns so value would be the same. It's best relegated to a place of respect on the wall.
  • b.goforthb.goforth Member Posts: 982
    edited November -1
    there is a patent #1,070,145 issued on 8-12-1913 to g.w.lewis and assigned to stevens. it covers a rebounding hammer. this patent date appears on a lot of stevens single barrel shotguns. there is a 99.99% chamce this is a stevens manufactured shotgun.

as a side note, it is highly unlikely that you will ever find a single barrel shotgun with belgium proof marks (unless they are marked as imported into belgium). when this shotgun was manufactured the manufacturer in the u.s.a. had developed the single barrel shotgun into such a fine machine made art that no one else could match the quality and price of american made single barrels. it is a known fact that companies like stevens, harrington & richardson, hopkins & allen and iver johnson exported more single barrel shotguns than were manufactured by overseas companies. what you will find on american single barrel shotguns manufactured before 1900 are belgium made steel barrels. in a 1896 catalog iver johnson's proudly states their single barrel shotgun "champion" is made in house except that only the best belgium barrels are used. NONE of these barrels will have any belgium proofing. i have three of these early iver johnson champions and have studied several hundred more and none have belgium proofing.

double barrel shotgun are just the reverse of this for more were made overseas than in the u.s.a.
    bill
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the replys, I am in the process of building a wall mount for it. Nice to know a little more detail on it. Thanks