In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Iver Johnson DOM question

JeepflexinJeepflexin Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
edited August 2009 in Ask the Experts
30 carbine serial number SS0300, wondering if it falls in the better years or not, thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    b.goforthb.goforth Member Posts: 982
    edited November -1
    the SS letter code prefix was use on the stainless steel m1 carbines. this is one of the very early one but i am not sure how reliable any of the stainless models were. there is some indication that the stailess model may not have been introduced until the move to jacksonville arkansas in 1983. how is your carbine marked.
    bill
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by b.goforth
    the SS letter code prefix was use on the stainless steel m1 carbines. this is one of the very early one but i am not sure how reliable any of the stainless models were. there is some indication that the stailess model may not have been introduced until the move to jacksonville arkansas in 1983. how is your carbine marked.
    bill

Thank you for the information thus far; Other than the serial number what should I be looking for as far as markings to help you better identify it? It is stamped with Middlesex, NJ.
  • Options
    b.goforthb.goforth Member Posts: 982
    edited November -1
    any of the middlesex nj marking are considered good and jacksonville with serial numbers below below 10,000 with AA letter code prefix.

i have discovered the stainless versions were introduced in the 1982 catalog. with the move to jacksonville in 1983 there is a better than average chance this is one of the first year production. i visited the jacksonville factory in spring of 1983 and carbine production had not yet begun at that location. it was the fall of 1983 before any carbines were marked with the jacksonville address.

as i stated the stainless model although carried in the catalogs until 1985 were in reality a limited production item. the stainless model were not listed in a 1986 price list.

if this gun functions properly your already have a good one to keep.
    bill
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by b.goforth
    any of the middlesex nj marking are considered good and jacksonville with serial numbers below below 10,000 with AA letter code prefix.

i have discovered the stainless versions were introduced in the 1982 catalog. with the move to jacksonville in 1983 there is a better than average chance this is one of the first year production. i visited the jacksonville factory in spring of 1983 and carbine production had not yet begun at that location. it was the fall of 1983 before any carbines were marked with the jacksonville address.

as i stated the stainless model although carried in the catalogs until 1985 were in reality a limited production item. the stainless model were not listed in a 1986 price list.

if this gun functions properly your already have a good one to keep.
    bill

Bill thanks for taking the time, it looks like I have another keeper, I might take it out and shoot it next weekend.