In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Mossberg 500 and 535

robert574robert574 Member Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
edited July 2007 in Ask the Experts
Does anyone own both a Mossberg 500 and 535?

The reason I'm asking has to do with those short Aguila shotgun shells.

As most of you know, they are supposed to cycle ok in a Winchester 1300 (they don't even come close in mine and even if you put one in the chamber it won't extract).

The Mossberg 500 series however works well except for the short tab on the shell elevator. If the shell ends up in the rear of the receiver next to the bolt face, the tip will miss the tab and the shell will hang straight down held only by the rim.

The Mossberg also has a shell extractor on each side of the bolt which gives better control over the casing to extract.

I was looking a Mossberg 535 yesterday and they have lengthened this tab on this model. I believe that it would cycle these short Aguila shells without dropping them.

Does anyone know if the elevator assembly from a 535 is interchangeable with the 500?

Comments

• robert574robert574 Member Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The elevator assembly is the bent steel flat bar that has a pin on each side of the rear end (thats the pin that shows through the side of the receiver on each side) and goes all the way up near the magazine and has a nickle plated face seen from undeneath. It lifts the shell up to the bolt for feeding.

On some other shotguns it is called the "carrier".
  • MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    doubt it, 535 is a 3.5 model
    edited November -1
    Anyone own both a 535 and a 500 that's willing to compare the elevators?

I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to know...
  • MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    Heres what you do go to gunpartscorp.com look up a 500 elevator check the part number than check a 535 check the part number if they match yes if not no. But the 535 is a combination of the 835 and the 500 so it is entirely possible that an elevator from a 835 would work but beings the 500 is only a 3in gun i would say the elevator is in fact probably different almost positive on that one. It is also never a good idea to swap parts for an older model in my opinion. Mossberg has an excellent program send it back to them and they will fix you up.
  • AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello "robert574"[:)]

Ammo is the least expensive part of a hunting trip. You should have only the best there is in the magazine and up the spout. Aquila certainly isn't it! It doesn't fire half of the time.

I realize you are going to consider me a conceted(SP)horse's a@@, but if you haven't taken the dove or quail down with the second shot from a fine gun such as a Mossberg 500 (yes, I have one), then you don't need to waste any more shots on that bird.

Best Regards[:)]
    Remember God sometimes gives us a second chance -- I am LIVING proof!
    Steve Adams
    AdamsQuailHunter on Gunbroker and "E-BARF".
    (And I have a 100% positive feedback on both if that counts for anything.)
    edited November -1
    At the gun shop, we set a Mossberg 500 side by side to the 535 and the position of the pivot points and the length of the elevator assembly seem to be the same (at least looking from the outside).

I had already gone to the Numrich site to check the part number thing but they did not list parts yet for the 535 or newer models. I'll try the other site you posted. I could also call Mossberg tech support. They probably have different part numbers anyway since the tab looks different.

With that said, I took a box of the Aguila buckshot and rifle slugs to the range this afternoon with my Mossberg 500.

I was greatly dissappointed with the buckshot round (seemed like it would be better suited as some sort of pistol round). It was pretty light.

The 7/8 oz slugs were a little more intesting but seemed more like shooting a large bore rifle round than a shotgun slug (sort of like the "special" version of a magnum round. They were easy to aim and accurate. I was bouncing 2liter pop bottles around with them at 50ft with no problem and they didn't knock the snot out of me either like a standard slug does.

I definitely would not want the Aguila rounds in a self defence situaton but I seem to have bought enough of them to keep the company in business for a while longer while I figure out what they are good for.

I had a lot of trouble getting them to eject also and frequently had to grab the casing and pitch it out.

I think these may be for single and double barrel shotguns only.

Are there any 12 ga single shot pistols? (.72 cal, 383gr slug at 1250 fps) It would make a heck of a pistol round.
    edited November -1
    Called Mossberg tech support Friday and they think the elevator used in the 535 will fit into the 500.

I ordered one for about $25 including shipping. It looks like the longer tab they used to accomodate the 3 1.2" shells in the 535 will allow the standard 500 to accomodate the 1 1/2" Aguila mini shells.

I'll let you know how well it works once I get it installed. Mossberg wants to know also.

There is still some issue with extraction which may be easily solved after I get a good look at it.

The Aguila shotshells would make a good snake load around the house, not sure what the buckshot rounds are good for, and the slugs pack a good punch and can be fired accurately.

I like the fact mine holds 13 + 1.

Still just messing around.
    edited November -1

After reading some of your other posts I am probably going to make you mad as H@#$ and have you consider me a conceited horses' rear end, but at my age I don't care.

You say you like the fact that you have 13 + 1. That probably means you are a proponent of the "spray and pray" hypothesis. The guys that want that many in a good Mossberg 500 in a dove field are nothing but "spray and pray" shooters --- I won't even dignify calling them "hunters".

The same goes for buckshot. You see a deer at 50 meters and unload everything in that direction hoping to connect. Even if you do, you are going to loose a deer that is going to run off and die of infection.

As for the slugs. They are swedged (sp) dead soft lead. When they hit a bone they are deflected. Once again a lost deer. If you are really bothered by recoil and you have tried all of the other recoil solutions such as a mercury recoil reducer and recoil reducing pads, then OK with the little bitty slugs. But make sure your Mossberg has good optical sights on it and you don't take any shot over 25 meters and that you have put in enough time at the range that you can put it into the "boiler-room" every time at that distance. If you can, a "hung up empty hull" won't make any difference. You will have plenty of time to get it out while you are walking over to your deer that is "down" very close to where you shot it.

Now you are welcome to call me anything you want, but if you were not trained for one shot - one kill, you need to sell your Mossberg 500 and take up fishing.

Have a blessed day[:)]
    Steve Adams
    AdamsQuailHunter on Gunbroker
    edited November -1
    It's ok. I don't mind the critisism. And you are right in your comments. I've held a distinguished expert rating with a rifle for many years. Grew up in the Ozarks and miss it often now that I live in FL. Punching holes in paper is just not the same (sigh...)

I do like the idea of more rounds, but it stems mainly from rifle and pistol shooting at the range and not from hunting.

As a practical matter, I would never consider anything less than a 2 3/4" shell for any "real" use in a shotgun and now days most of mine are 3". Pulled a shotgun out of the claw many times earlier in my life and was glad today that I never had to fire it.

Careers have long since changed and now my focus is more on keeping jobs in the US. We'll leave it at that.

I never really was a shotgun person, not a bird hunter either and have taken deer only with a rifle and rabbit and squirrel with a 22.

I do however enjoy fishing and don't descriminate against anything as long as it puts up a good fight:)

With that said, I still seem to own five shotguns. Three of them I have never fired mainly because I don't like the "kick". I'm not a heavy person and a few 00's or slugs usually tend leave a sore spot on the side of my cheek bone and snot dripping out of one nostril. I still think it's top of the list for a home defense weapon (if you can store and get to it properly).

For the moment I'm playing with these minishells (and I'll admit not as impressed as much as I had heard or read about them).

I do like the idea of the recoil reducers if they really work. Got any suggestions there?

Got to check Ebay and pay for the new car stereo to replace the one stolen out of my car in my driveway last weekend. Lost a tool set also but it belonged to work. The neighbor had his satellite radio stolen and his garage door opener.

Gun show in Orlando this weekend. See some of you there.
    edited November -1

I am glad that you did not take offence at my comments, but I have no use for "spray & pray" shooters.

I worked for the goverment but I was never in the service. My son Jason just make selection for Special Forces. He has about a month of "jump school" from July into August. Then he is off to North Carolina for an additional year of training. I am glad for him because it is what he wants to do. I am unhappy for me because I know he is going to get sent off to "Hotel Bagdad" as soon as his training is over. I am not afraid for him with an opponent up close and personal as I and the military have taught him how to handle this situation. I am not afraid for him with an opponent out at 250 meters, he will clean his clock. I am afraid for him with improvised explosive devices. You don't know a road side bomb is there.

I worked for the goverment -- I was not in the military. I am a pilot and can fly anything from sailplanes to Warthogs. I deeply regret the military wanting to do away with that airplane as there is nothing in its class for toughness, close air support, and tank busting. I am trained in martial arts, and in the use of firearms, and also I was trained as a "powder monkey". I can make a bomb your bomb sniffing dogs can be standing on and not find it because it has no nitrates in it. What I did for the goverment I will not discuss and we will leave it at that.

I got into teaching, and became a professor -- no I am not a liberal egghead, but I did NOT force my views on my students. I had several run-ins with administrators because I refuse to budge and be a part of grade inflation. Ill health caused me to retire early or I still would be teaching.

If B&K Custom Firearms out of Jacksonville are at the Orlando show be sure to drop by. Gary is a super guy. Makes great "space-guns" -- has fine Japanese blades -- his grandfather taught him --- and he is a diver.

As for recoil taming stuff -- check out the "mercury recoil reducer" by "cOyOte". The moderator and I don't see eye to eye at times but he has given an excellent summary of recoil tamers.

This has gotten to be a lengthy exposition -- so I will shut up.

Have a Blessed Day[:)]
    Steve Adams
    AdamsQuailHunter on Gunbroker