In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Shipping to Conceal Carry Holder

snoodsnood Member Posts: 64 ✭✭
edited March 2008 in Ask the Experts
I recently sold a gun here on Gunbroker and the buyer wants me to ship to him because he has supplied me with a copy of his conceal carry permit. I think that is illegal and I must have a signed ffl to ship to. Who is right? Thanks

Comments

• competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by snood
    I recently sold a gun here on Gunbroker and the buyer wants me to ship to him because he has supplied me with a copy of his conceal carry permit. I think that is illegal and I must have a signed ffl to ship to. Who is right? Thanks

Please note my edit below.

You are right.

The buyer is either poorly mistaken or trying to obtain a firearm illegally -- plus he wants YOU to break the law!

If he persists in wanting you to ship directly to him, you may want to forward that information to the ATF and/or local law enforcement in his area.

IMPORTANT EDIT: If you are both in the same State, AND your State allows private party sales, you can (most likely -- assuming there is no state law prohibiting it) ship directly to him. If he has a concealed weapons permit, odds are he is NOT any sort of criminal, so it is probably fine to ship directly to him if allowed in your state.
  • golferboy426golferboy426 Member Posts: 969 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if in a different state ffl required, some states will not allow in state shipping either mine for example CT
  • snoodsnood Member Posts: 64 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info. I am in Kentucky and he is in Pennsylvania. I'm sure I have to have a ffl to ship to.
  • competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info. I am in Kentucky and he is in Pennsylvania. I'm sure I have to have a ffl to ship to.

Yes, between states you HAVE to ship to an FFL. He cannot receive a firearm directly from you.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello If the firearm is on the C&R list he can ship to a C&R lic. In another state . example firearm 50 years old or Military colt 1911A1
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 for what Perry said. IF the gun is 50 yrs old, A C&R (collector, curio and Relic) FFL covers it (aka an 03 FFL) but a "carry concealed weapon" permit does not. Crossing state line to MUST go to a FFL- either 01- DEALER, or 03 COLLECTOR.
  • Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

I don't know of any law or regulation that requires an individual to get a signed copy of an FFL. All you have to prove is that you shipped the gun to an FFL holder.
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    You could be getting set up, too.
  • Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Henry0Reilly

I don't know of any law or regulation that requires an individual to get a signed copy of an FFL. All you have to prove is that you shipped the gun to an FFL holder.

You can get a fax or a scanned copy as well.
  • 2xbyu2xbyu Member Posts: 298 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I were shipping a gun out of state I would insist that it go thru a valid FFL holder in the receiving state. The receiving FFL will know all the regs. for his state and if the gun is legal in that state.

The old CYA.

You can check here to see if the FFL is valid.
    https://www.atfonline.gov/fflezcheck

Just my 2cents.