In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Felon's Rights

cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,401 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2003 in Ask the Experts
I have just begun to collect pre-1899 pistols. The question came up at home as to if a convicted felon could own a pistol of this type. After all, the BATF allows free transfer and shipment - as if they do not consider them a gun at all - just a relic. Also, does this continue on to concealed carry? I wish my son would quit asking me all these questions that I can't answer!

Thanks guys,

cbxjeffIt's too late for me, save yourself.
It's too late for me, save yourself.

Comments

• mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    You are quite correct Jeff, Pre-1899 firearms are antiques and are not regulated on a Federal level like regular firearms (shipping and receiving). Although these guns are antiques and considered nothing more than wall hangers or ornaments-- they are still firearms. Here in California a person convicted of any felony, either in this state, in another state, or even in another country is prohibited from owning or having in his possession, custody, or control ANY FIREARM. Under California State law a firearms is defined as a rifle, pistol, shotgun, or any other device from which a projectile is expelled by explosion or other form of combustion (Penal Code 12001). Age of the firearm plays no part in this what so ever; if it shoots a bullet using some sort of powder a felon can not own it.

Mark T. Christian
  • cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,401 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info guys. You realize that I will give you no credit at all and will let my son think that this is all my doing. Ha Ha

Thanks again,

• mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    No problem Jeff, every boy should think that his Dad is the smartest man on earth and has all of the answers! Does your son get suspicious if have to go into your office and get on the computer when he asks you a question?

Mark T. Christian
  • cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,401 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mark,

I find that I need to say "I'll have to think about this for a while" quite a bit!

Thanks again guys,

• bfox02bfox02 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you reside in Indiana according to: (35-47-2-19)
    Title 35
    Article 47
    2-19
    Pg. 167 of the ATF publication.

Firearms exempted." This chapter does not apply to any firearm not designed to use fixed cartridges or fixed amunition, ar any firearm made before January 1, 1899...."

You should also check with you local Attorney General

Office of the Attorney General
    Indians Goverment Center
    South 402 West Washington Street
    5th Floor
    Indianapolis, IN 46204
    (317)232-6201
  • queeksdrawqueeksdraw Member Posts: 274 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    State of Indiana vs Harrison 2000 cause #BC2804-00.
    In Benton County Ind.
    Mr. Harrison (a felon)was stoped for a traffic offense, was found to be in possession of a concealed replica black powder hand gun.He is now serving a 5 yr term in Michigan City prison.

You'v gota kill it to grill it
  • easygo6easygo6 Member Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    queeksdraw:

Ouch!...that one hurt!!!

SEMPER FI