In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

old school bullet moulds. any market?

bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
edited July 2007 in Ask the Experts
its spring cleaning. and im in my basement cleaning out the reloading room. and there they are. all my moulds and lead bricks. there are calibers i dont even own anymore and i just dont have the time to sit and pour, get burnt by splatter, sniff toxic fumes, make bad ones only to throw them back in the pot, grease them, box them, and then of all things....finally load them.[:(][|)]

im gonna hold on to the 45 230 ball and 148gr wc 38cals. maybe even a 9mm rn. but the rest go.

so, its time to auction them. but, i went to get a feel for what they may be worth and it seems all the mould auctions are dead in the water. whats up? is it really a lost art of the past?[?]
Retired Naval Aviation
Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
Former NSSA All American
Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
MO, CT, VA.

Comments

• Options
    AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello "bobski"[:)]
    It is too easy to set down and order from Midway, Dixie Gun Works, etc. than to roll your own.

I am an old buzzard that still uses black powder Damascus barreled shotguns. Yes, I know how to "clarion", fiberoptic, magnaflux and xray the barrels before I put the old girl into service.

I use a Pedersoli that was built special for me. She is .700 at both muzzles. She has been proofed to 10 drams of black powder. I use her as a 12 gauge or a .700 Gibbs. With 4 drams of Swiss black powder and tempered (22 BIN) .690 roound ball and a lubed patch over a black powder card she will cut figure "8's" at 40 meters. She has African express sights rear and a red fireglow on the front. I would not hesistate for a moment to take on an African elephant if I had the chance.

I need dead soft for some of my goodies such as my 1857 Remington, and wheel weight stuff for the tempered ball and terminators heads. If you put any of it on Gunbroker be sure to drop me an e-mail with the auction numbers

Have a Blessed Day[:D]
    Remember God sometimes gives us a second chance -- I am LIVING proof!
    Steve Adams
    AdamsQuailHunter on Gunbroker and "E-Barf" with 100% positive feedback on both if that makes any difference.

Please check your e-mail.
  • Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I still cast most of everything my son and I shoot and am always on the lookout for different molds.I've paid from $10 on ebay to $150 for a 2 cavity hollow base wad cutter .38 cal made by cramer. If you do put them up please plug the auction on GD board.
  • Options
    mazo kidmazo kid Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bobski, there are still some of us that love to experiment with the "old ones". Please list them on GunBroker and give us a shot (pun not intended) at them. Emery
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ok, will do. but before i do, im gonna post some pics so you can tell me what the numbers equate to and so we all knowwhat size bullet it is. i was taught by an old fellow that always told me to keep poured lead in the moulds so they didnt deform and to keep from rusting. some of the ones i have are like that and some are NOS. i'll start posting later on. if the topic goes dead at 10, i'll repost. thanks gang.[^]
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello again "bobski"[:)]

I am almost computer and computerease illiterate. Is NOS --- new, old stock like it is on brass shotgun shell casings?

Best Regards[:D]
    Remember God sometimes gives us a second chance -- I am LIVING proof!
    Steve Adams
    AdamsQuailHunter on Gunbroker and "E-BARF".
    (I have a 100% positive rating on both if that counts for anything.)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    yes.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    XracerXracer Member Posts: 1,990
    edited November -1
    AdamsQuailHunter....if you need "dead soft lead" for casting....if there are any house wrecking companies near you, try there.

Pure (soft) lead was often used in piping and window sash weights during the '20's & '30's.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ok, here they come. see mystery pic 148!
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.