In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Scope bases heights ?

countershaftcountershaft Member Posts: 320 ✭✭✭
edited July 2008 in Ask the Experts
Anybody know what the "letter" ( A-B-C, etc) designated Unertl scope bases were relative to their height? @ A = 3/64" Evidently they were identified by letter not number

Comments

• HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know how or if Unertl marked their scope mounting blocks but Lyman used letters to designate what they fit. e.g., O and E were used on the blocks that mounted on the receiver ring and barrel for the 1922 series Springfield Gallery Practice Rifles and on the 1903 Springfield, issue type and NRA Sporters. I have a Lyman chart and will be glad to look up whatever you need if you will give me the rifle make and model.
    The base contour is important as it must fit the receiver or barrel.
    I have read that Unertl still has the scope blocks so you might give them a call. Unertl, Lyman, Bausch & Lomb, Litchert, * and maybe other scopes fit the same blocks. The earlier scopes had various types of screws to tighten the ring assembly to the blocks. Early blocks had smooth sides, some had smooth sides and a small hole the the pointed end of the tightening screw to fit into. Later blocks seem to have standardized with the half moon cutout in the side of the block. I realize this is more than you asked but it is important information and not commonly known.
  • countershaftcountershaft Member Posts: 320 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks Hershel , I will call Unertl and see what they have to say