In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Marlin 1894 /1894S 41 mag confusion?

IschiaIschia Member Posts: 215 ✭✭✭
edited July 2008 in Ask the Experts
My Blue Book calls it an 1894 S (sporter)and lists it in .44mag as well. I'm looking for info on the older non-button safety model. When were they produced? Several of these old style 1894's (1894S ?)are listed on GB in .44mag. None name them as an 1894S. Are they the same in .41 mag. Is the newer button safety model the same as a "hammer block safety" as noted in the "Blue Book" Any info would be helpful in my search.

Thanks,

SW

Comments

• 41 nut41 nut Member Posts: 3,016
    edited November -1
    Marlin did not make a 1894 in 41mag without the safty. The model 1894 S was to indicate that it had a safty. In the 80's Marlin manufactured approximatly 3,000 of the 1894 S in 41mag. The 1894 did not have the safty and was not made in 41mag.
  • IschiaIschia Member Posts: 215 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Did Marlin make the 336 in .41 mag? I have a chance at an older 1894 without the button safety but in .44 mag. Was this madel called the 1894S? as well? I have a S&W model 57 and have been looking for a companion rifle in .41 but really hate those buttons.

Thanks for your help.

SW
  • 41 nut41 nut Member Posts: 3,016
    edited November -1
    No Marlin did not make the 336 in 41mag. Sometime - I think in the 70s Marlin made the 336 in 44mag. The 1894S was the first 41mag Marlin made and they only made a run of around 3000 of them. Then did not make any more until about 5 years ago when they again came out with a 1894 (not sure of the letter) in 41mag.

You asked "I have a chance at an older 1894 without the button safety but in .44 mag. Was this madel called the 1894S? as well?" No it was produced before the safty was added to the 1894. The 1894S are marked model 1894S on the barrel. NO 41mags were produced by Marlin prior to the introduction of the safty.
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info. I just can't abide that "button" safety so I will have to go with the older.44 mag. The same for that "cheesy" pressed looking checkering now on the newer Marlins. It's SO ugly. Why oh why doesn't Marlin leave the stock plain or at least give the buyer an option. What are they thinking? Who knows.

Thanks,

SW
  • PA ShootistPA Shootist Member Posts: 686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Regarding the button safety, I have a Marlin 1894 and three 336's, all older ones without the safety. I have handled the newer ones with the safety in the store. I don't understand the disdain for the button safety. It seems to me that one could simply ignore it if you didn't want to use it; leave it in the off position. It isn't very obtrusive. I can also appreciate the usefulness of having the safety "on" when levering unused rounds out of the magazine, when unloading at the end of a hunt. I'm sure there have been unintentional discharges when doing so, over the years. I don't like the "diamond" within the Marlin checkering pattern currently used, and would prefer a simpler pattern without the diamonds, such as used by the one older 336 A Deluxe (ADL) I have. But if I remember correctly, I think the checkering on the newer Marlins is machine-cut, not impressed. And the checkering should allow a firmer hold under varying conditions, wet, slippery, gloves, etc. Beauty and form follow function. Am I wrong on this?
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the input. I just don't like the look of the button. It's purely visual I know and I suppose the safety factor is high but.... If Sofia Loren (in her youth)had an * as big as Rosanne Barr's I could pretend it wasn't there and ignore it and leave it in the Off position but... it would still be very obtrusive to me. Tastes are different. That's what makes collecting interesting. Ditto on the Marlin checkering pattern,very cheap looking. Some think Britanny Spears is way hot,I dated Erica Gavin(look her up) for a short time 30 years ago. No checkering and her off position did not exist. To each his own.

Thanks again for the input,

SW
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is a kit to replace the Marlin crossbolt safety with a plug that looks like an extra action screw.
    http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/crossbolt_safety.htm

If you think the 19th century and 3/4 of the 20th were safe enough, this will improve the cosmetics.
  • SCorversSCorvers Member Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [:D]I like your style, Ischia.[8D] Bite the bullet, procure an 1894s, delete the "safety", and get out the sander and delete the checkering. Kinda like plastic surgery for a riffle.
    Of course we could make out some kind of trade for that outdated Mdl 57. I'm sure I could come upon a Mdl 29 and you could have an easier time finding an 1894 in .44 more to your liking.[;)]
    edited November -1
    Thanks,I'll have to keep the 57 since it's nickel in 8 3/8. Some schmo sold me a NIB Mod 58 4.in also nickel from the old Gunlist for $400.15 years ago, before I found the 57. Much searching later a guy from Wyoming had nickel pair,a 29 and the 57. Wish I could have bought both($750!)but I was a little short on $ at the time. Now couldn't ever seperate the brothers: Stretch(57)and Lil' Fatso(58) The great frustration of the gun hobby is to see very rare pieces at a steal with no quick cash on hand. Right?

SW
  • SCorversSCorvers Member Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's a link to Ischia's ex-gurlfrin.[:D] Musta been fun!!!

http://www.ericagavin.com/films.html