In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What type of mauser is this?

migrapilotmigrapilot Member Posts: 73 ✭✭
edited May 2009 in Ask the Experts
Help,

Can anyone give me any idea what type of Mauser this is and what it might be worth. It is the Rifle on the far right. The lady that has it emailed me these pictures and doesn't know where to begin to look for marking or encriptions or tell condition for that matter. I'm not sure what to offer her sight unseen. If I don't make an offer or accept it for $150, she has another buyer lined up. What should I do?

Thanks,
John

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24026250@N04/[url][/url]

Comments

• perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    The picture when I looked at it was so small I could not see enough detail to tell what she has.
  • migrapilotmigrapilot Member Posts: 73 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you click on the picture, then the "all sizes" magnafying glass on the top left, it will super size it.

Thanks
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    3579147393_c9b9691c0c_b.jpg

The magazine extends below the stock.
    Is that the 1891 Argentine Mauser?
    If so, and if it is in decent shape, it is worth more than $150.
    Just about any Mauser that is in decent shape is worth more than $150.
    What the hell, take a walk on the wild side and buy it for $150, you may be paying half of what it is worth.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Even with the photo "Super Sized", it's difficult to identify the rifle. The only thing that really stands out is the magazine. This type of magazine that projects out below the stock,not touching the trigger guard, at a angle is very unusual. If it's original and not some basement bubbas handiwork, it might have considerable value to a collector.

These rifles were built in Czechoslovakia in very small numbers in the 1920's. They were known as the Type "L". It was chambered for the .303 British rimed cartridge. This was why the magazine has such a peculiar appearance.
    edited November -1
    I had a member reply that it might be a Turk 38. After looking at other Turks, it appears so. The only catch is that I still haven't found a Turk with a Magazine protruding like this one.

Thanks for the help,
    John
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah, I was wrong about the Argentine, mag doesn't stick out far enough for it to be an Argentine Mauser.
    I don't know what it is, it is not in my book, not even under Czechoslovakian Mausers.
    It is not a Turk, even on the 1890 Turk, the mag sticks way down below the stock, it looks like the 1891 Argentine.
    On later Turks, such as the 1893, which I have, the mag is flush with the stock, likewise with the mod. 38 Turk.

You could tell the lady to look for the markings on the receiver ring.
    Even an ignorant female could read some of the markings to you.

Buy it.
    edited November -1
    I did just that. I emailed her and asked for a close of picture of ANY markings. I'll report/post what I hear.

Thanks again,
    John
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For 150.....BUY IT,,,,,whatever ever Mauser it is it looks good...don't believe its a Turk, which is good.[:)]nambu
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    migrapilot,

I've had the pleasure of seeing quite a large number of Mauser variations but this one is confusing to say the least. That magazine style isn't a match to the Mausers I've seen and am familiar with handling. Besides asking for proof marks, I'd also ask for detail pictures of the magazine from the bottom and both sides. It's just possible that this is a cobbled together variation that isn't worth the money she's asking.

I could be wrong but look at the area in front of the magazine. See how there appears to be a space?

When you have more information, please start a new thread so we get to have the use of the full number of responses.

Best.