In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

ar 15 sp 1

wooddogwooddog Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited May 2009 in Ask the Experts
I have a Colt ar 15 sp 1 and the little flat tip of the gas tube fell off the other day. I have not shot it since, and was wondering if it would still shoot without jamming, or whether it is needed to properly seat...also, how difficult it is to replace.

Comments

• dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    We need more info. What do you mean by "THE LITTLE FLAT TIP OF THE GAS TUBE" [?] Are you talking about the bolt carrier key on the bolt [?]
    If you are not sure go to www.brownells.com and click on"FACTORY GUN PARTS" then click on the COLT logo. Scroll down to rifles and click on AR-15 BOLT CARRIER ASSY. and see if that's what you are talking about.
  • quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1
    I'd like to help you but do not understand what part you mean.. If you would click onto the brownells link above and follow dcs shooters instructions then get back with us, we should be able to help you.
  • wooddogwooddog Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I verified with the diagram from Brownells it is the gas tube assembly. I'll explaing where the flat piece came from. If you take out the bolt of the ar 15 and look up through the magazine well, you will see the end of the gas tube assembly(the piece that fits into the bolt carrier key)...if you look closely there is a flat piece on the end of the tube....mine came off! I plan on test firing tomorrow to see if the piece was necessary for a tight fit and if it will now dissipate the pressure and not reliably chamber the next round. Anyone had this problem or have any advice?
    edited November -1
    The gas tube is round all the way from the gas block to the carrier key. The diameter is reduced at the chamber end so it will fit into the carrier key. That smaller piece is probably what broke off.
    Remove your bolt and look in the key and see if the broken part is in there. If there has been a bunch of rounds through your gun with cleaning the carbon out of the key, they get gunked up with it, that is most likley why the end of the tube broke off.
  • USN_AirdaleUSN_Airdale Member Posts: 2,987
    edited November -1
    the only "flat tip" that i can think of is the end that goes into the FSB !
  • wooddogwooddog Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks!

I will check the key, but I had the bolt carrier out, and was cleaning the gun, when it fell over onto the floor(hardwood).

How do I replace the gas tube? I checked Brownells and they have one for about $50. Is it a difficult fix, or can I do it? If it needs to be done by a gunsmith, should I send it back to Colt?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wooddog

Thanks!

I will check the key, but I had the bolt carrier out, and was cleaning the gun, when it fell over onto the floor(hardwood).

How do I replace the gas tube? I checked Brownells and they have one for about $50. Is it a difficult fix, or can I do it? If it needs to be done by a gunsmith, should I send it back to Colt?
    edited November -1

Thanks!

Thanks!

replacing the G.T. is not a gunsmith job, look closely at your FSB, there is a very small roll pin in the middle of the FSB BL-18B_2.jpg
    use a 1/16th drift pin punch and drive it out from either side, your old G.T. may be stuck, being as it is worthless, grasp it firmly with a pair of vise grips and drive it rearward (towards the stock) look closely and you will see the holes where you drove out the tiny little roll pin and one larger hole, that is where the hot gas from the barrel goes to cycle the action, when installing the new tube make damn certain that hole is facing down towards the barrel, installing the new tube, push the open end into the receiver first, then slide it forward until you can see the roll pin hole align with the FSBs holes, tap in the roll pin till it is flush with the FSB, the curve of the G.T. should be "UP", you are now finished and ready to shoot, i am a two finger typer and i could replace a G.T. in the time it took me to type this note !!
  • vicg1vicg1 Member Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Thanks!

gas tubes are $5, not $50... look around a bit more.
    edited November -1
    Bushmaster's gas tube, #8448567, is $14.95+shipping.