In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Old .300 Wby Ammo

osofineosofine Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
edited May 2009 in Ask the Experts
I have come across some old Tiger boxes of .300 Wby. I can't tell if they are factory or not. The primers are silver with blue around the edges. Seems I have seen that before but I don't know what it is. Was that what they used back then instead of brass primers? Appreciate any help figuring this out.

Comments

• Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Silver primers are nickle plated brass.
    The blue is a primer sealer
  • jcorljcorl Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, they are factory. I have a ton of them. They seem to take up moisture worse than other ammo.
  • osofineosofine Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the help. I guess I will polish them up before trying to sell them. I also have some .460 Elephant rounds to polish too.
  • givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by osofine
    I have come across some old Tiger boxes of .300 Wby. I can't tell if they are factory or not. The primers are silver with blue around the edges. Seems I have seen that before but I don't know what it is. Was that what they used back then instead of brass primers? Appreciate any help figuring this out.

Item in blue above: are these boxes of loaded ammunition? If so, do not polish. Give the seller that option. "Making pretty" is almost always the worst of choices when it comes to all things firearms. If it is fired brass, you may use a tumbler designed for the task.
    Bottom line: leave them as-is. Best, Joe
  • osofineosofine Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    okay, just a quick hand polish to get the fuzzy stuff off. Thanks
  • golferboy426golferboy426 Member Posts: 969 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you will likely find they are not as valuable as you might think. These are not rare I've sold plenty and 35 per box is usually the high end