In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

My first Hi Standard

IngallsIngalls Member Posts: 304 ✭✭✭
edited August 2009 in Ask the Experts
I finally got my Hi Standard today. You can see some work was done to it. The slide was machined down to clear the bridge sight, and serrations were cut into it. I know it looks a bit ugly, but I like it. I cant tell whether it is a 102 or 103 series. If you can see in the pictures, the sight is bent. I found one on ebay, but have no clue yet as how to change it. I want to get it to the range first and see how it shoots before I work onit or send it out. Im sure the value dropped as soon as it was cut up, but I bought it to shoot it, not display it. Any thoughts?
[img][/img]dsc03082.th.jpg

[img][/img]dsc03083h.th.jpg
dsc03084b.th.jpg

Sorry for the bad pics, Im new to ImageShack.

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's no ugly gun - it's nice looking as heck and probably accurate as hell. I can't tell from the photos if the front sight is bent left or right, but if it is replacements are cheap at Numrich Arms. Not sure if you can find another slide there, but my bet is yes. While the slide may have been scored up front the flattened topside is almost certainly factory - the bridged rear sight is a standard type.

I'd bet it more than holds its own with pretty much any other 22 handgun out there.
  • Frontiersman101Frontiersman101 Member Posts: 3,259
    edited November -1
    I love mine! My uncle has about 10 or so Hi Standards. Here is a pic of my SH.[img][/img]023-1.jpg
  • JohnStimsonJohnStimson Member Posts: 448
    edited November -1
    This is a reworked pistol probably from the 102 or 103 series.

This is a slant grip frame and only the military grip frames had the bridge sight. A bridge rear sight for a slant grip model was planned by High Standard but never produced. The slant grip slides thus never needed machining of the top surface and the military grip slides had different characteristics. Military grip slides were marked "--HIGH-- / STANDARD" where as the slant grip was marked "HI-STANDARD" as this one is.

High Standard used a locking pin for the main sight mounting rivet from the back of the slide that is not present on this gun.

The barrel from the 102 or 103 series would have the eagle logo. There were no bull barrels in the 102 series.

Sight removal is straight forward if it was installed like the factroy did it but if not it is hard to say how to remove it with a minimum of work.

If the one found on eBay was of Connecticut manufacture the switch might go smoothly but if it is a Texas rear sight, the dimensions and mounting method are different.
  • IngallsIngalls Member Posts: 304 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info John, and thanks rufe-snow for blowing up the pictures. Like I said, I bought it to shoot, and depending on how I like it, which I think I will, I will do more research to make sure I get an all matching one next time.