In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

American Arms PK 22 pistol

holybuckholybuck Member Posts: 80 ✭✭
edited August 2009 in Ask the Experts
I have the opportunity to buy this in private sale but am unfamiliar with brand. Left side reads PK 22 "made in usa". Ejection side reads "made in germany" NKC-MO . Appears to be in good shape w/approx 4' barrel. Seller wants $175 (no paperwork). What do the experts think? Thanks for your reply in advance.

Comments

• duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is enough.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most of the parts were made by Erma in Germany. Only enough of the parts were made in the U.S., and assembled by American Arms to make it legal to sell in the States.

Erma and American Arms both went out of business in the 90's. The price is OK, as long as you understand you have a orphan on your hands. If anything breaks or you want extra magazines you might have a tough time obtaining them. I wouldn't buy it unless you have a opportunity to test fire it, with all available magazines to make sure it's functional.
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Back in the day (about 15 years ago) when this was a current model it sold for $199. There were two variations: a .22 and a .25 and the .22 version had a lot of feeding problems with quite a few going back to Kansas City (where AA was based) for warranty work. The .25 version was a lot more reliable, as can always be expected with these types of pistols, so you will want to test fire your PX-22 before you buy it. If it has feeding problems there is no place to go because just as rufe-snow said, AA is long gone.
  • 32 Magnum32 Magnum Member Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I owned one of the last of the PK-22s made. In fact I got the last of the factory mags - direct from the factory - it was their "test" mag. My PK (different than the PX-22) was a great little shooter when feed heavy weight, high velocity rounds - mine liked the Rem. Thunderbolts best of all. It functioned great with these and I could fire 8 shots as fast as I could pull the trigger. Accuracy wasn't too bad for a 3" barrel. Slides were marked made by Erma in W. German, receivers were marked made in USA. After if broke in, it would work well with CCI Stingers. Mine was stolen and recovered out near Pittsburg taken from a fugitive murder suspect. I would buy another one, but as rufe posted - it's an orphan and if you break something, you're pretty much on your own. This is the one that was styled to look like a miniature 1911, but has the Walther type take down.
  • b.goforthb.goforth Member Posts: 982
    edited November -1
    the american arms pk 22 and the iver johnson tp 22 are pertty much the same pistol. there are a few parts for the iver johnson still around. i know for sure the magazines are interchanable between all three erma, iver johnson and american arms. a word of caution BE SURE THE MAGAZINE IS REMOVED before trying to break down. i am still using my iver johnson tp22 with a low 3 digit serial numbermanufactured in 1982 and have several others in both the tp22 and tp25 series.

the american arms pk series were manufactured into the early 1990's after iver johnson discontinued the TP22 in about 1988. by the mid 1990's american arms pk series was discontinued. most likely because that is about the time erma went under. about the same time erma and H&R 1871/NEF signed an agreement for H&R 1871 to market a small frame 38 special revolver manufactured by erma but that never came to pass because of erma's money problems.
    bill