In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

AKS

barnjoerbarnjoer Member Posts: 146 ✭✭✭
edited February 2007 in Ask the Experts
I know nothing about AK47, A friend ask me what the difference between an AK47 & an AKS47--- he has A friend that wants to sell an AKS. My friend said you mean an AK47 & his friend said no an AKS. can any one tell me the difference between the two if any??

Comments

• Options
    big mangobig mango Member Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    from the www.

Caliber: 5,45x39 mm
    Action: Gas operated, rotating bolt with 2 lugs
    Overall length: 735 mm (490 mm with folded buttstock)
    Barrel length: 210 mm
    Magazine capacity, 30 rounds standard
    Weight empty: 2,71 kg
    Effective range: about 200 meters
    Rate of fire: 650-735 rounds per minute

The AKS-74U short assault rifle (the "U" suffix means "Ukorochennyj" in Russian = "Shortened" in English) has been developed in the late 1970s from the AKS-74 assault rifle. The AKS-74U was intended as a personal defense weapon for tanks, guns, helicopters and other vehicles crews, and for the special operations forces, who required a compact but relatively powerful individual automatic weapon. The AKS-74U has the size and effective range of a typical submachine gun, but has advantage of the general issue, assault rifle ammunition and magazines, as well as the parts interchangeability with the general issue assault rifle, the AK-74. Since its introduction the AKS-74U, unofficially known as a "Ksyukha" (variation of a Russian woman name) or "okurok" (cigarette stub), also had been issued to various Police and other Law Enforcement forces acres the USSR and the Post-USSR countries, including Russia. Interestingly, the AKS-74U is known in the USA as the "Krinkov", but what it means is a mystery for me. The AKS-74U is somewhat popular among its users due to its compact size, which allows it to be carried in the cars and even concealed under the clothes. On the other side, its effective range of fire is greatly limited by the poor accuracy at extended ranges, while the bullet itself remains its lethality at much greater ranges. The AKS-74U also known for its tendency for rapid overheating during the prolonged fire sessions. A special version of the AKS-74U had been developed for the Special Forces (SpetsNaz), which could be fitted with quickly detachable silencer and a special 30mm silenced grenade launcher model BS-1 "Tishina" ("silence"). The launcher uses special HE-DP grenades, which are launched using special blank cartridges, stored in the box magazine, contained in the launcher pistol grip.

The AKS-74U has only few differences from the basic AKS-74 assault rifle, which I will describe below. For the technical description of the AK-74 and AKS-74, please refer to the appropriate article at this site.

AKS-74U has a severely shortened barrel, with the gas chamber moved back and appropriately cut down gas piston rod. Since the portion of the barrel after the gas port is very short, a special muzzle device was designed, which is used as a flash hider and the gas expansion chamber (to achieve reliable gas operated action). The front sight base is lowered, and the standard adjustable rear sight is replaced by the flip-up rear (marked for 200 and 400 meters distance), mounted on the receiver cover. The receiver cover is hinged to the receiver at the front and flips up when opened (original AK-74 receiver cover is detachable). Otherwise the AKS-74U is similar to the AKS-74, it has similar controls, folding buttstock, and uses same magazines. AKS-74U cannot be fitted with bayonet. Some versions had a standard side-mounted rail for the night or red-dot scopes, and are known as AKS-74U-N.
  • Options
    barnjoerbarnjoer Member Posts: 146 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks big mango for the info. This one I was told is 7.62x39 caliber. Could this be true?? Were these chambered in different calibers?? Dont know where this one came from?? I was told it would be for sale for 300.00, might this be A good price for it, not knowing any other things about it??
  • Options
    big mangobig mango Member Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    check this link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AKS-74U

or this one also.

http://www.militaryfactory.com/smallarms/detail.asp?smallarms_id=182

and the internet for more info. It is possible it is in that caliber.