In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

model 62 question

mx88mx88 Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
edited November 2008 in Ask the Experts
my 62 is marked 62 short long and lf on the barrel. is has 17 rings on the forearm. the serial number is 192xxx. is this a 62 or a 62a? the gun is in perfect shape. hard for me to believe it has been cobbed together

Comments

• Options
    bobinwisbobinwis Member Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If this were a model 62A, it should be stamped as such on the barrel and there will be differences internally. However........When they were assembling rifles at the factory, some funny things happened. I have a model marked '62A' on the barrel but that is the only 62A part of it. The barrel is actually stamped model 62 and the 'A' was stamped on at an angle to fit into the space. All other major pieces fit the 62A description. If a model 62, it should also have 4 screw holes in the bottom of the tang for holding the mainspring in place.

According to Schwing's book, your serial number was made in late 1946 or January 1947.If you like Winchester pump 22's, this book is a real resource on them.

Regards, Bob
  • Options
    edited November -1
    this gun has a coil hammer spring and three pins on the top of the bolt in the reciever . also just one screw in the tang going from the top to the bottom. yet only model 62 on the barrel.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mx88
    this gun has a coil hammer spring and three pins on the top of the bolt in the reciever . also just one screw in the tang going from the top to the bottom. yet only model 62 on the barrel.

Your Winchester is positively a Model 62A, but one with a Model 62 barrel. Winchester never threw out any useable parts, and it is not uncommon to find a "newer" style firearm with an "older" style barrel on it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i agree is has all the parts of a 62a yet the serial numbers and the barrel markings have no A stamped on them. so what do you think the original box called it? what shall i tell my grandson it is when he gets it for christmas?
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mx88
    i agree is has all the parts of a 62a yet the serial numbers and the barrel markings have no A stamped on them. so what do you think the original box called it? what shall i tell my grandson it is when he gets it for christmas?

Tell him that it is a Model 62A manufactured in December of 1946 (if the serial number is <192481, or in January of 1946 if the serial number is >192480). The original box most likely had 62A on it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thank you gentlemen for the info and i will pick up schwings book on the subject