In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

newer ruger 10/22 materials

25.0625.06 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited April 2009 in Ask the Experts
I was about to purchase a 10/22 when I noticed that the ring around the barrel and stock is now plastic. I only assume the receiver is powder coated aluminum.(Or is it?) I put the rifle down upon my discovery, so I didn't check out the rest of the gun very well. I've just nearly gotten over it now, and am still considering buying one. Are there any more surprises in store? I could go back to the gunshop and take a better look, and still overlook something. That is why i'm asking you guys. Any help will be appreciated. thank you very much.
John

Comments

• 1022man1022man Member Posts: 512 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are still making wood stocks, they now use birch, but they also come with the plastic and a laminate (plywood) The 10/22 reciver has always been aluminum. They big differance and but biggest complaint about the newer ones are the trigger guard/housing is now plastic, and the barrels have a strange 'ringed' finnish like they didn't take time to finnish them.
  • hk-91hk-91 Member Posts: 10,050
    edited November -1
    Last time i checked there are still plenty of the older ones on the auction side. I havent bought a new 10/22 rifle but i do have the new 10/22 changer pistol and i love it. Very well made and holds a very good grouping.
  • 25.0625.06 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Originally posted by 1022man
    They are still making wood stocks, they now use birch, but they also come with the plastic and a laminate (plywood) The 10/22 reciver has always been aluminum. They big differance and but biggest complaint about the newer ones are the trigger guard/housing is now plastic, and the barrels have a strange 'ringed' finnish like they didn't take time to finnish them.
    [ I didn't even notice that the trigger guard is plastic. I wonder if the old ones will fit the newer. I may go with HK-91's advice and find a good preowned one. Either way, I'm a little better informed now. Thanks again fellows./quote]
  • ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Given all the various upgrades available for the 10/22 the older ones are now almost immortal. So if you get a good used one and it does not shoot replace the barrel with a better one, or even upgrade to 17HM2. Personally, IMHO, the new rimfire 17cal cartridges do better in a bolt rifle due to the cost of the ammo. Not ammo I'd want to just blast away with don't you know.
  • 25.0625.06 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Originally posted by ern98
    Given all the various upgrades available for the 10/22 the older ones are now almost immortal. So if you get a good used one and it does not shoot replace the barrel with a better one, or even upgrade to 17HM2. Personally, IMHO, the new rimfire 17cal cartridges do better in a bolt rifle due to the cost of the ammo. Not ammo I'd want to just blast away with don't you know.

I actually looked at one a few years old that had been converted to a 17cal. The cost of plinking cans is part of why I didn't look long. I am satisfied well enough with the .22's performance,wider range of ammo options, and price per shot. The only hunting i plan to do is for deer and will use a 25.06 or 7rem mag for that. But I will probably shoot with my grand-daughter with this one.
  • Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    25.06 With the few changes made to the 10-22 over the years, they are still excellent rifles. I have 9 of them in different configurations.

The "ringed finish" on the barrels is probably a tooling mark left from the manufacturing process. A friend of mine was looking at a Mini-14 years ago and saw a tooling ring on the barrel and thought it was a defect so did not buy it. Turns out all mini's have that mark.

Even with the plastic parts now used, I think you will not regret buying one.
  • cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 25.06
    Originally posted by 1022man
    [ I didn't even notice that the trigger guard is plastic. I wonder if the old ones will fit the newer. I may go with HK-91's advice and find a good preowned one. Either way, I'm a little better informed now. Thanks again fellows./quote]

Yes the old metal trigger guard fits the new rifle. I believe it was Clark custom that bought a lot of the OEM metal guards from Ruger and should still have them in stock.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy the cheapest one you can find, it is going to end up a $800 rifle anyway. Mine functions fine, but the dang thing is a clunky looking rifle. If I were doing it again I would buy a good bolt action.
  • model1892model1892 Member Posts: 88 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    How can you tell the difference in the older model 10/22's and the new model 10/22's? So far I have learned from this topic that the newer ones have a plastic trigger guard. I'm not too educated on the ruger 10/22.
  • alexdolhyjalexdolhyj Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i own an old 1022 carbine. was going to get another but was dicouraged by the inferior quality. the new models the reciever isnt even aluminum anymore, its some cheap cast pot mix alloy thats powder coated cheaply. the finish on the new ones do not desirve the price tag they carry. as a ruger fan and former employee (prescott plant)i am very ashamed. for those who own an older model hang on to them, and to those planning to purchase search the used gun racks dont bother with the newer models