In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

1876 tang sight?

shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,229 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2009 in Ask the Experts
i managed to find a winchester 1876 oct barrel in 45-75 for a customer of mine, i just did the looking he did the paying and talking to the guy. well today my customer called him to see if he got the gun shipped and he had already. he also told him that he had a original(maybe not to that gun, but a winchester) tang sight for one that was "selling for 700-800 dollars" as he put it that he would sell to my customer for 600. my question is, i dont know enough about this old stuff to have an opinion, is that tang sight really worth 600 dollars(i dont doubt it, i just dont want to see him ripped off is all), and if the gun didnt have it originally does it really add that much value to the gun? i mean if you take a 5000 dollar gun and put on an old winchester tang sight will its value neccasarrily go up 600-800 dollars, or is it just kind of a "bonus". any thoughts on this are appreciated as always, i would especially like to hear berts take on this as he is so knowledgible on the subject.

Comments

• Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the sight is an original Winchester tang sight intended for the Model 1876, it is easily worth the $600 asking price. Yes, it will raise the value of the rifle by the same amount as the cost of the sight.
  • CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Bert,
    You are the Man.[:D][:D]
    W.D.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CapnMidnight
    Bert,
    You are the Man.[:D][:D]
    W.D.

Don't get him started with that...

The least we would expect is to see pictures of the 1876, and the sight....so we can all drool.

Best