In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

help identifying H&R pocket revolver

epakerepaker Member Posts: 52 ✭✭
edited June 2009 in Ask the Experts
I recently acquired and H&R pocket revolver. it is a breaktop, 5 shot 38 S&W with automatic ejector. Gun is blued with a 3 inch barrel and pearl grips. The only thing I can find that would pass as a serial number is stmped into the bottom of the grip. numbers are misaligned and one is a different size. the numbers all together are 166511 the first 1 i higher and a little cocked to the right the first 6 is low and fade at the top like it was struck unevenly and there is a apce big enough for another number between it and the first 1, the second 6 is centered but it is smaller than the first and spaced very widely from it . then there is a markthat looks like a ding, not a number. the 5 is at the same levl as the first 6 then another space and 2 1's entered and next to each other so it looks like an 11. I can not get a good picture of this. The front sight is a half round blade and appears to be press fit into a a groove in the rail above the barrel, rear sight is very small groove on the break action latch, cylinder is fluted. I hope this is enough info to go by, I can provide more detail or try to get some decent pics but my camera is a POS. any help with the age or value of the gun would be appreciated. bluing is amazingly good, over 95%, grips are real pearl and perfect condition bore is shiny and rifling is clean everything appears to funtion well and fit is very tight, but I have not fired it yet. Thank for looking, Ed.

Comments

• Options
    32 Magnum32 Magnum Member Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    epaker,
    Your piece can be identified, but I'll need a bit more info:
    Does it have a hammer or is it "hammerless"?
    What is the inscription on the barrel rib, EXACTLY as it is stamped?
    Open the action and pull the cylinder off the arbor - post the serial number found under the top strap, including any letters.
    Is the caliber stamped on the left side of the barrel? Anything else stamped there?
    Remeasure the barrel length from the muzzle to the front face of the cylinder - it should be 3 1/4" for a 5 shot .38.

The disuniformity in the serial number stamping is not unusual in these guns.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sorrry I didn'tget back to you sooner, I was out of town.
    Gun is hammerless. The inscription reads: HARRINGTON & RICHARDSON CO on the top line with the o smaller and underlined the second line reads WORCHESTER MASS U.S.A.. I can not see how the cylinder releases to remove it and I have learned not to use force so if you can tell me the trick I will be happy to pull it off and tell you whats under it. I appreciate the help.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Never mind, I got the cylinder off. just a little force required;o)needs a good cleaning!It says 156511 so I guess I had the serial number wrong the first time, the top of that digit is very faint.
  • Options
    32 Magnum32 Magnum Member Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    epaker,
    From the info you provided:
    Your piece is a LARGE FRAME HAMMERLESS, 2nd Model 3rd Variation. With that s/n and compared to pieces in my collection, the year of manufacture is probably 1913-14. H&R provided Mother of Pearl grip panels as optional - if you carefully remove them - you may find the last 3 or 4 digits of the s/n written on the back of each in pencil - if there, it confirms factory fitting and installation. Your piece is capable of handling modern FACTORY loadings - but before shooting, it should be examined by someone who knows what to look for with respect to safety, preferably a gunsmith.
    When you removed the cylinder - did it require lifting the barrel latch? Some of these merely thread on to the arbor and some were retained by a small hook under the latch and a tension spring on the arbor. The one with the hook has resulted in a lot of unintentionally "engraved" cylinders when reassembled.
    If in EXCELLENT condition - value (retail)will approach $300. I have shot several of my hammerless models and they are fine shooters.
    Jim Hauff
    Note: historical data from Bill Goforth's research; hardware data from my collection.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I did have to lift the latch out of the way and it also threads on. Thanks for the info.