In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Bore Cleaner

rjcrjc Member Posts: 92 ✭✭
edited June 2009 in Ask the Experts
What is the best bore cleaner for copper fouling? There are lots of products out there. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• rjcrjc Member Posts: 92 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This may have been asked before so bear with me as I didn't read it.What is the best bore cleaner to use for (1) copper removal (2) lead removal.This is in handgun use if that makes a difference.If this an opinion thing the more the merrier.
  • rjcrjc Member Posts: 92 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Has anyone ever used Wipe Out bore cleaner? What other brands are good for centerfire rifles?Thanks
  • glabrayglabray Member Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The active ingredient in most of the ones that actually work is ammonia which dissolves copper. You'll smell it the moment you open the bottle. Regular ammonia is not very viscous and runs to the lowest point in the bore. The better cleaners (more expensive) contain a thickening agent so that the liquid clings to all parts of the bore better. I use Barnes but there are several that work just as well. I never use any that are acid based as these can easily damage a bore if not used properly. Remember not to use a bronze brush with any copper cleaner as the bronze will dilute the effectiveness of the cleaner.
  • FWAdditFWAddit Member Posts: 918 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The foaming aerosol types all seem to work the same way, and I have found them effective. However, they will damage an oil finish, and perhaps other types as well.
  • RtWngExtrmstRtWngExtrmst Member Posts: 7,456
    edited November -1
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Butches Bore Shine and Montana Extreme are very good products for cutting copper.
  • asopasop Member Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bpost has it. "Montona Extreme" I think I got it at "Midway" last time. Good Luck
  • TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    +1 on Butch's Bore Shine.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Everyone has their favorite. The only one that I found pretty useless was Shooter's choice.

Plugging the barrel and filling with household ammonia for an hour will work but is a pain.

Foaming cleaners work with minimal effort but aren't as quick as Montana Extreme. Depending on the level of fouling, the foaming ones or the Montana product is my favorite.
  • mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Lets add Warthog and Barretts new cleaner to the list of very efficient copper melters....
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost1958
    Butches Bore Shine and Montana Extreme are very good products for cutting copper.

+2. I am also looking at Gunzilla, but the jury is still out at the moment. If it works well it has no solvents and smells like corn oil.
  • stevecreastevecrea Member Posts: 486 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hoppe's Benchmark has worked quite well for me to remove copper. However, it may not be as strong as some products, and does take repeated applications if the copper buildup is substantial. It does not seem to hurt the finish on the stock.