In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Savage 110L Safety

scubabobfscubabobf Member Posts: 392 ✭✭✭
edited March 2007 in Ask the Experts
Hi;
I have an older SN 64480 Savage 110L in 270 Winchester I recently purchased. The tang safety can be set to the safe position only when the bolt handle is up. I do not like this arrangement and would like to convert to a traditional safety I can put on and take off when the bolt handle is down. I had a gunsmith go over the rifle and he assures me this is the way the older Savage safeties work. He did not know of a retrofit safety that could be installed. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd give the Savage Service Dept a call 413-568-7001 .I own three of the older 110 Savage rifles and with mine you close the bolt and slide the tang safety to the rear.[:(]
  • scubabobfscubabobf Member Posts: 392 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ATF
    Thanks for the advice. I was concerned about calling the Savage service as they have a disclaimer on their website concerning guns made before the current management having too much liability. Thanks again. regards.
  • scubabobfscubabobf Member Posts: 392 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the advice. I called Savage tech and was told they no longer supply parts to these older rifles. Also they could not answer if there is a third party retrofit safety. Thanks again.
  • ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That being the case, take the rifle to a Gunsmith that knows what he's talking about.[:(]
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Savage safety cannot be applied unless the striker is cocked. You can engage the safety with the striker cocked with the bolt handle in any position but if the striker is in the fired position, you have to raise the bolt handle to recock it. That's just the way it works.
    All the aftermarket trigger units that I know of for the Savage retain the factory safety function. I can't think of any reasonable need to be able to apply the safety with the striker uncocked.