In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

mini 14

gandj armsgandj arms Member Posts: 93 ✭✭
edited February 2007 in Ask the Experts
I am thinking about buying a Ruger Mini 14 223 , is there any thing I should be looking for in this gun before I buy?

Comments

• gandj armsgandj arms Member Posts: 93 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Will the Ruger Mini 14 in .223 chamber and shoot 5.56 military? Or is there a Mini chambered for the 5.56?

Thanks

Mike
    edited November -1
    need help in putting an eagle scope mount on my mini 14 ,i dont have the owners manual and ruger is closed till the 03jan.i need too get the barrel and trigger out of the stock .what is the trick too getting the trigger out ? its a 182 series thanks don
    edited November -1
    What's it worth? Preban mini-14 with folding stock. Blue finish - not stainless. It's been shot plenty, but not beaten.

Thanks -
    edited November -1
    I have a mini 14 186 series that I want to scope. I was planning on using the weaver # 48646 mount, but after reading more on the subject, it looks like Ruger moved the ejector pin to the lower section of the bolt face making it a top eject. I have not yet fired this gun and can not say for sure. Anyone know when and why this change was done? Would this cause a problem with ejection like the empty rounds hitting the scope? If so , I do not know of a scope mount that sets the scope above the ejection port that would work. Any comments, suggestions or ideas appreciated.
    edited November -1
    [?] What I would like to know is what does the GB stand for in a mini 14 GB I have heard Goverment barrel, Goverment bayonet, Which one is correct. And any other info would be helpful.
    edited November -1
    I was wondering if there are aftermarket mags that function as well as the factory mags for the mini 14?
    edited November -1
    Anything I need to know about clips for these?
    edited November -1
    Geting ready to purchase one ( maybe tomorrow), as far as cleaning a semi auto firearm ( never owned one) what should be used as far as functional parts? Oil or a gun grease?
    edited November -1
    Hello,
    Sorry for the long post but any help would be great.

Im looking at buying a new ruger mini 14, my local walmart is selling one ( hardwood, black barrel) the price was a little over $600, i have seen these guns for around $800+, should I be cautious about buying a rifle from walmart? What about this rifle should i be looking at to know I am geting what i want as far as different models of the mini 14? What would be a fair price on a new mini 14?

I also have a friend who is willing to sell me his remington 770 camo/stainless steel in .300 win mag, i have read horrible reviews about this gun as well as reivews saying it is a very accurate rifle, i am wanting a rifle to have in the woods and not worry about geting it banged up alittle, the rifle i am using now I love but want something i can be ok with geting ruffed up. He is offering me the gun for $300? Is this a fair price, or should I keep looking?

Thanks and sorry for the long post.
    edited November -1
    I may have the opportunity to purchase a Mini 14 in excellent condition for $300. I mentioned this deal to a friend, who was appauled and told me that they are junk. I am no expert, but upon inspection of the rifle, it looked to me to be the same system as an M-14, (just in .223) which I know to be a good rifle. I know the mini-14 has been around for a long time. If anyone could let me know if its worth buying.
    edited November -1
    What Probably needs to be done with an aftermarket Mini 14 magazine to make it function, is to take both magazines apart,and re-form the aftermarket follower to look like the factory follower as close as possible.
    edited November -1
    what do yall think of the ruger mini 14 good bad worth the money
    edited November -1
    are all the ruger mini 14 180 series problems? what about the 185 and 186 series?
    edited November -1
    I have a Ruger mini-14 and would like to make some improvments/conversions to it; shorten barrel, add flash suppressor, improved trigger, buffer, rail mounts, ect. Make it tactical.
    What do you experts suggest?
    edited November -1
    Will the new Ranch models 223 also chamber the 5.56 NATO?
  • iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    New ones are good at what they are for. You can burn a barrel out in 'em in about 3500 rounds of mostly rapid fire though...
  • claysclays Member Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My 181 series is stainless & has never given any problems. I have put several thousand rounds thru it. Not a MOA rifle, but then it was not designed to be.
  • mr_floppymr_floppy Member Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I found this just a few weeks ago. I can not confirm or deny , but perhaps it will shed some light on the matter.

quote:These are subject to parts availability. Not much available as the design changed in the next series.

181 prefix and up is A-OK

Shoppers the serial # will read 182-########## or whatever

The 182 is refered to as the prefix. Also refered to as the series.

This does not mean they are a bad gun. They are just the opposite. However due to the early manufacture a lot has changed in the design and ruger may or may not have the parts to fix your weapon. Or it may cost a fortune to retool for the parts.

http://www.ac-556.com/
  • deerhntrdeerhntr Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you want a ruger mini 14/30 but the most current production "ranch" models that come with the updated sites. These are NOTHING like the originals...I have owned several Mini's over the years and just picked up the new model and it does consistant 1-2 inch groups at 100 yards with ammo it likes. Ruger really did tweak these new ones right.
  • HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    180 series Mini-14's were the first offered. They are major headaches., but more important, Ruger will not sell parts for these nor will they repair them.. Any series above 180 is fine.
  • NOTPARSNOTPARS Member Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does Ruger sell any parts at all. I was wondering if we can buy a new barrel from Ruger for any of their firearms, pistols included.
  • NOTPARSNOTPARS Member Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For deerhntr: I recently picked up one of the new ones but have yet to find time to try it out. What ammo did your specimen like?
  • HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by NOTPARS
    Does Ruger sell any parts at all. I was wondering if we can buy a new barrel from Ruger for any of their firearms, pistols included.

Ruger is not friendy in selling any major parts,especially any that could affect saftey.A bbl. requires fitting for headspace-Ruger wouldn't consider it, I'm sure. And, on the 180 series I understand they will not work on them. Period. I think thats a shame, but its their call.
    edited November -1
    thanks to all; for the peplys