In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Why not a Kel Tec P11?

skullgrinderskullgrinder Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
edited June 2007 in Ask the Experts
I beseech the experts of lead, brass, and steel to shine down upon me with their wisdom. My next purchase will be a handgun. I have narrowed it down to a Kel-tec P11. I know all of the upsides - size, weight, ammunition and magazine availability, and a rabid following. What are its' deficiencies as a "carry-anywhere" weapon?

Please, first hand experiences only. I do not wish to be snotty, but I have read enough secondary-source and pro "fill-in-the-brand" material to make a Michael Moore movie.

I know that you will have your own carry bias. Just shoot it to me straight

Comments

• jbw1776jbw1776 Member Posts: 3,056
    edited November -1
    Been carrying the p-11 for a couple years now. I have had no problems out of mine whatsoever. Have put about 800rds or so through it without even the first hiccup. I carry mine with the factory belt clip, availible seperately, tucked in the front of the pants. I also added a Hogue slip on grip (can't remember if it's the regular one or the Jr.) and use the 12rd. flush fit magazine. I wear it about 18hrs. a day and don't even know its there. As I'm sure you've read the trigger pull is stout, but mine has lightened up with use. As long as you take it for what it is, a CCW pistol, and not a target pistol, you'll like it. There is also a KelTec copy out there called a Starr(sp?), but the one thing it has is a safety, and I can't think of any reason I'd want a safety on this pistol. Also there is a Keltec owners group (Google KTOG) that you can read before purchasing one. I did, and you can hear from folks that have them and even some who come on to complain about theirs. I weighed the pros and cons and chose it and couldn't be happier with it. KelTec also has one of the best customer services of any around. Good Luck[8D]

Ben
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have stainless slide version, 11,000 range. Been carrying and shooting it since I bought it in the mid 90's. At least a couple thousand rounds through it, since then. Only thing ever happened was that the thumb piece broke off the slide stop, although it was still operable.

The good folks at KelTec sent me a replacement for free, and I installed it myself. The P 11 is the best value for the money as far as I'm concerned. Up close and personal, 13 shots will do the job.
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Great little pocket pistol, and with the S&B JSPs; definitely a thought-provoker. I use the 10rd. mag, no finger rest, smooth grips, and IWI night sights; slip it into your pocket 'till you need it.

My alternate backup is a 4' Rossi in 357, but that gets a little heavy with 2 speed strips.
  • john carrjohn carr Member Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My results weren't positive. The P-11 was just the size gun I wanted, right caliber and 10 rounds. I knew going in about the trigger and was told I would get used to it. I'll probably trade it off. It goes bang on each trigger pull and shoots, more or less, where you aim it. Can't figure why a DAO needs a eight and a half pound trigger pull. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
  • oldgunneroldgunner Member Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm with john carr. I tried one and just couldn't get the hang of the trigger. I usually didn't manage to get it to fire at all, so I got rid of it. Most people seem to like them though.
  • njretcopnjretcop Member Posts: 7,975
    edited November -1
    I carry the P-11 everyday as others here do. No problem and with 13 rounds of +P ammo, it is a very effective carry piece.
  • skullgrinderskullgrinder Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks to all for the information. I wanted to find an unbiased forum outside of the other favorites (KTOG, glocktalk, the various and sundry 1911 forums). I don't want to disparage the other defensive calibers available, but I do know that the willingness to protect one's self and familiy requires dilligence and practice. Call me frugal, but unless someone is going to start a nonprofit to arm we, the willing, I am going to find the most economical way to carry, practice, and protect.

Currently I am the only bread-winner for a family of four. Money is tight, to say the least. I understand that money is tight for all and that money is supposed to be no object when it comes to the safety of you and your family. I would agree, within reason. While I could be saving the money to buy the latest scandilazium 18 round wonder pistol that shoots around corners, slices, and dices, I know that the first rule in a gunfight is to have a gun. If the Kel-Tec or any other 'reasonably' priced weapon protects my family, I refuse to look down my nose at it.

Sorry for the diatribe, but I have had enough of idiotic banter on both sides of the personal protection issue. Law-makers with an agenda equate economically accessible weapons with an increase in crime, because we will all die if everyone has access to a gun. To this group, every person with a gun (who is not protecting them, mind you) is a possible killer, not a protector. Gun magazines, who perpetually ask why more people don't support 2nd Amendment rights, state the latest and greatest $600-1200 revolver or pistol is a 'bargain'. Please correct me if I am wrong, but most of the new weapons within these magazines are sent to the writers straight from the factory, and rarely the writers find a weapon that they didn't like. Thank God for the experts on this forum who shoot straight!

Yeah, I've heard what they say about free advice, but I would rather hear it from the horse's mouth. If you want to hear it from the other end, keep watching the news and reading the rags.
  • TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had the 380 and the 9 and sold them both, trigger pinching and I decided if I had to use it well maybe. I got a Firestorm 380 (its the Deluxe version of the Bersa and I love it. It's like cars some like them and some don't, when I went to shoot it I would elect to pass on it.
  • Old FoolOld Fool Member Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mine is great (well, as great a 9mmm can be). Inexpensive, great customer service, a trigger that can be lightened and smoothed, 11 round capacity, light, made in the USA, and absolutely reliable.
    edited November -1
    Quote: Finger pinching . . .
    edited November -1
    Quote: Finger pinching . . .

Fshfndr,this was one of the problems, when it was new it caught my finger up where the trigger enters the frame, I installed a trigger shoe and it caught the trigger finger at the bottom of the trigger guard. I do have pretty large hands, a #12 ring size and this may be part of the problem. That and that 8.5 lb pull and it's just got to go. I've been considering a Bersa thunder but will give it a lot of trying before I buy one.
  • iluvgunsiluvguns Member Posts: 5,351
    edited November -1
    Some have mentioned the Bersa Thunder 380. I can second what they said about it. Love mine to death. Goes "bang" every time I pull the trigger with any type of ammo I have run through it. It goes into my pocket as soon as I get dressed in the morning and comes out when I take my pants off at night.