In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Colt 1917 US Army 45 ACP value

knightriderknightrider Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
edited May 2007 in Ask the Experts
There is a Colt 1917 US Army that is being auctioned and I want to know what the possible value could be. According to the seller it is a "Colt 1917 US Army .45ACP Ser# 285129 is in 90% Condition. This Colt revolver includes the following features: DA/SA, original wood grips with NO cracks or chips, laynard ring and a bright/shinny bore with strong rifling. This Colt does not have any pitting or surface rust on metal. Lock up and cylinder is tight and crisp. This revolver is in overall Excellent Condition and is 100% complete and functional." Here is a few pics.colt1.jpg?t=1180579141
colt2.jpg?t=1180579197
colt3.jpg?t=1180579308
colt4.jpg?t=1180579347
colt5.jpg?t=1180579378
colt6.jpg?t=1180579422
Normally I would take an S&W over an early 1900's Colts but if the price is right I will make an exception. What do you think?

Comments

• 41 nut41 nut Member Posts: 3,016
    edited November -1
    I'm not an expert on Colts, but the barrel looks cut in the photos and the original front sight did not have the gold or brass bead. Looks to me like the barrel was cut and a non original front sight put on it. It cannot be in 90% condition with a cut barrel.
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 41 nut
    I'm not an expert on Colts, but the barrel looks cut in the photos and the original front sight did not have the gold or brass bead. Looks to me like the barrel was cut and a non original front sight put on it. It cannot be in 90% condition with a cut barrel.

I don't see any gold or brass bead. Where did you get that information? The weapon looks exactly like it should, barrel and all. The possible value is unimportant. The high bidder will take it.
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a few Colt 1917s - the front sight height is .40". Yours looks original, appears a touch low, but that may just be the camera angle. I don't see any gold bead, looks like just a little shine or wear on the forward edge of the sight.

The barrel should be 5.5" long, measure from the front of the cylinder. It does not appear cut to me. The finish looks original -all those polishing scratches in the right areas & pettern showing through the bluing.

I'm a little suspect of the grips though - a bit shiney & they don't fit the grip frame (photo #3) very well.

It's worth what someone will pay for it, maybe check the closed auctions? I paid $550.00 for one in the same condition a few years ago.
  • knightriderknightrider Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the input. I'm still waiting to see if this what I want, but so far the price is good. Also does anybody make moon clips for these or is there a site that has them? Thanks again.
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by knightrider
    Thanks for the input. I'm still waiting to see if this what I want, but so far the price is good. Also does anybody make moon clips for these or is there a site that has them? Thanks again.

I think you will find the half moons are not needed. My 1917 has a stepped cylinder that headspaces the cartridge by the mouth.
    edited November -1
    If you reload the 45 AR is a better choice. You'll dispense with the 1/2 & full moon clips by using the rimmed cartridge. If you use 45 ACP & the clips, using metal ones makes some sort of "de-mooner" neccessary. Check Dillons or Midway, they have a few for sale.

RIMZ also makes plastic clips, they work well & are easy on the fingers.

You don't need clips to fire 45ACP, just to eject the fired case. It's probably just as easy to not use them & poke out each case with a stick. FYI - I believe the very early Colts were without the stepped chamber, but the great majority produced did have the step cut into the chamber.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I guess I need a new computer monitor.

It looks to me like all the blue on the right side of the frame (from the recoil shield forward) has been removed with steel wool. And, it looks like the blue on the left side of the frame has been removed from the barrel forward. And, it looks like most of the blue is gone from the cylinder. And, the front 1" of the barrel has a matte finish that doesn't match the rest of the barrel.

But, this isn't in my area of expertise, so I have to defer to you guys.

Neal
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nmyers
    I guess I need a new computer monitor.

It looks to me like all the blue on the right side of the frame (from the recoil shield forward) has been removed with steel wool. And, it looks like the blue on the left side of the frame has been removed from the barrel forward. And, it looks like most of the blue is gone from the cylinder. And, the front 1" of the barrel has a matte finish that doesn't match the rest of the barrel.

But, this isn't in my area of expertise, so I have to defer to you guys.

What you're seeing is the different directions of the buffing wheel used to finish the exterior of the gun. This is typical of the WWI era Colt 1917, S & Ws have a much nicer finish. When you see the Colt's you can almost hear the plant foreman saying "It's faster - hold it this way, now turn it that way."