In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester 63 guidance wanted

cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
edited November 2008 in Ask the Experts
Some of you know I am mainly into full auto and suppressed firearms.
I have Uzis, HKs, M16s, MACs, Norrell 10/22s etc and gobs of suppressors.
My others are M14 clones, ARs and 1911s.
Yesterday a friend came over with the usual toys to shoot in my backyard range but he also brought an old Winnie 63 carbine.
That is a neat little 22.
I am going to get one.
What do I need to look for and are there any certain flaws to be aware of?

CP

Comments

• Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Model 63 used a blowback action with a weighted breech block. As such, it requires the use of hi-speed .22 LR ammo to properly cycle the action. There are no "flaws" with the design, it simply became too expensive to make and was discontinued in 1958.

The Carbine (20" barrel) version is worth a fair bit more (it was discontinued in 1936) than the standard Rifle (23" barrel). The graded condition is the primary factor in determining what the value (cost) will be. I recently saw one that was NIB sell for $3000+[:0]. One in typical used condition should sell in the $400 - $600 range.
  • Options
    wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I defer to Bert on all but the prices he quoted you. He's old and still thinking in the past. I think you will find that finding a nice 63 in the $400.00-$600.00 price range may be difficult. If you are just wanting a shooter grade, look for one that has been drilled and tapped for a scope. That will drop the price by as much as one half and there are many so afflicted. You will rarely see a carbine length (20") barrel and when you do, they're quite expensive and usually sell to dedicated Winchester .22 collectors.
    standard.jpg
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wundudnee
    I defer to Bert on all but the prices he quoted you. He's old and still thinking in the past.

Hmmmm... I guess if the shoe fits... but, I think it is a clear-cut case of the Pot saying derogatory things about the Kettle[;)]