In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester 70:

shooteroneshooterone Member Posts: 139 ✭✭✭
edited December 2008 in Ask the Experts
Have been looking around for a new Win. 70 in 308win. I mean the new model 70 that is made in Columbia, S.C.. The feather weight model. Been getting the same story. "Can't get em." "Can't get em". I live in S.W. Pa.. Any comments on that subject? Thanks. Gus.

Comments

• Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    From what I am hearing, they are supposed to be better than any other Model 70 ever made. That remains to be seen. I know that start up at the FN plant in SC has been slow. I am not sure if it is because of new more modern equipment, or trying to get the equipment from NewHaven running, or even if they purchased/previously owned the equipment before the plant closed. I am thinking that one of our fine Moderators in this forum, Nononsens, might be able to shed more light on this. Art any rate, if the claims hold true as to their superiority, they are worth waiting for. And by the way...welcome to the forums here on gunBroker.com. If you e-mail me, I might have some info as to where some Model 70's are...have to dig it up.

Best
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tsr1965
    From what I am hearing, they are supposed to be better than any other Model 70 ever made. That remains to be seen.

Yes, it does remain to be seen. That said, I have a tremendous amount of doubt that any modern factory produced bolt-action rifle will ever come close to the quality of the pre-war Model 70s[:0].
  • Options
    whwilsonwhwilson Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jim Carmichel has an article (Return of the M-70) in the current issue (Dec-Jan) of Outdoor Life. Indicates that military orders might have held up production. He says that Win plans to build up the M70 inventory so that distributors demands are met simultaneously - starting in early Oct. Guess they are late!
  • Options
    Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looked at one a few weeks back. Fit & finish was nice and I thought the trigger was pretty good, but there ain't no way in heck I am paying the price they are asking for one of them. Way too much IMO.

Jon
  • Options
    shooteroneshooterone Member Posts: 139 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To Jon0322. What were they asking for the model 70? Thanks. Gus
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shooterone
    To Jon0322. What were they asking for the model 70? Thanks. Gus

You are looking starting at a grand and going up. You can get a SAKO 75 or 85 for a hundred or two more, and they are twice the rifle any model 70 was or will be...performance ballistically and accuracy wise speaking.
  • Options
    shooter10shooter10 Member Posts: 461 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have only seen the new Featherweight Deluxe in 300, 270, & 30-06. And all of these were under $800. You can see them on Buds Gun Shop at like $775. A .270 just sold on GB for $795. Call them and just ask when the 308 is coming. They were very nice when I talked to them.