In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

enders royal western 16 GA singleshot shotgun

lordmegatronlordmegatron Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
edited November 2008 in Ask the Experts
i bought it from a place in cincinnati Afield paid
$52 for it i google it and a site came up and said
it's worth $200-$300, took it to target world the
guy said it's a wall hanger. was told the barrel was painted over
if anyone wants to see pics i'll take them

Comments

• Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You paid just exactly what it is worth. The fellow who told you it is a "wall hanger" is much closer to the truth than what you found through Google.

To give you a little history, your old Enders Royal single shot scattergun was manufactured in an era when it was considered an inexpensive farm tool.

Enders Royal was a "Trade" name used by the Crescent-Davis Firearms Company on shotguns made spcifically for the Simmons Hardware Company of St. Louis, Missouri. Crescent merged with Davis in 1920, and was bought out by the Savage Firearms Company in 1930. This indicates that your gun was made somewhere in the 1921 - 1929 timeframe. The 16 gauge guns made during that era were typically chambered for a 2-9/16" shell versus the now standard 2-3/4" shell. It was also made for low-pressure smokeless powder <7500 psi shells loaded with lead shot. It can not be safely fired with modern shells or with steel shot loaded shells.

So, to sum it up, you paid $52 for a wall-hanger. On most days, you might be able to recover that amount in a private sale. If you take it to a gun show, expect offers in the $25 - $40 range.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks for the info brett.. the shotgun was made in 1913
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by lordmegatron
    thanks for the info brett.. the shotgun was made in 1913

You are quite welcome, and my name is Bert.

Please do not confuse the patent date that is marked on the gun with the actual DOM. As I pointed out in my first reply, the "Enders Royal" tradename was not in use until after Crescent had merged with Davis in 1920.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    oppss sorry for the mix up.. i hope the guy i bought it off
    can let me exchange it or something