In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

WWII P38 jams when chambering

whwilsonwhwilson Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
edited November 2008 in Ask the Experts
I recently aquired a WWII P38 (markings indicate cyq - Spreewerke manufacture matching SN 5635c - on gun, not on mags). tested safety and slide function - field stripped and cleaned. test fired with Remington UMC 115 gr 9mm Luger. With full 8 rounds in mags, the round jams half way into chamber. Found that this happens every time (with both mags) if more than 3 rounds are loaded - cycles 1 or 2 rounds perfect. Your thoughts?
Also, any estimate on value? Besides left side markings mentioned above, 3 markings on right side looks like eagle over 88, eagle, eagle over 88. Clamshell holster is very dry with loose/broke stiching - back has eagle/swastika WA 383 with P38 in large letters.

Comments

• perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    TRY another weight of bullet and different nose shape if possible . Do not try hollow point but rather BALL AMMO.
  • whwilsonwhwilson Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for reply - I am using metal case ball type ammo. Confused why 2 rounds in mag works fine, but jams if I have 3 or more.
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Difficult to say without seeing. Has someone dicked with the feed ramp? Are the mainsprings providing the correct tension? Are the magazines original or aftermarket?
    Too bad about the holster. Leather is one of those things that always deteriorates and that can only be slowed, never stopped.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A lot of the U.S. made economy ammo is marginal at best. I would try different types of ball ammo to see if that has any effect on function. If all the ammo gives similar problems, perhaps changing the recoil springs would improve function. You have a pistol that is at least 63 years old, no telling what the round count has been over the years. Also there is a possibility that the recoiled springs been screwed with over the years. Check with Wolff for replacement springs.
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 9mm Remington I had was noticeably shorter OAL than other makes.
    I know the Luger tends to favor long loaded ammo, maybe the P38 does too; try a different brand
  • captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    I'm wondering if its not the Magazine Ears....The only problems I ever had with the P-38 was attributed to the Magazines.....Do You have anyone in your area that has a Mag that is known to work well in thier P-38, and willing to lone it to You for test purposes...?
  • chaosrobchaosrob Member Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would say your mags are shot. My p-38 (byf) feeds everything I put through it without issue. Shoots high with 115 grn though
    edited November -1
    Seems the next thing to do is try different brand ammo. I'll order another magazine while I'm at it. If this doesn't cure the jamming problem will take to my gunsmith. Thanks for advice.
  • BlairweescotBlairweescot Member Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My '44 cyq P.38 does almost the same thing, misfeeds at least once per mag. The original mag is better than the others, but I need to pull the slide back and release often. Mine clears the jam every time and loads the round with no problems by only yanking the slide back and releasing. I need to get new recoil springs but I'm not sure this is the whole trouble

Was this pistol a russian capture piece by any chance? They dipped their captured pistols in some type of blued finish to protect them. It could be the feed ramp needs polishing; I suspect this is part of my problem (mine was a captured pistol).

Have you checked the mag springs at all?

Value is so hard to tell without seeing it, and even then it's hard. Check out this website:

http://www.p38forum.com/

They are a pretty good bunch over there
    edited November -1
    Thanks Blairweescot - I'll try their site. I don't know anything about the history of this gun. Everything matches on gun, but don't have original mags.
  • stetsonstetson Member Posts: 84 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try different magazines or if you don't want to go that radical clean them and see if that changes anything.Good luck!
    edited November -1
    I went to http://www.p38forum.com site as blairweescot suggested (they were working on site so couldn't register) but several posters said NOT to use the Rem UMC ammo I am having trouble with - maybe that's solved. Will buy some Win FMJ and repost with results.
    Thanks all -