In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Pair of Colts Here. How Old Are They? Value?

bono1616bono1616 Member Posts: 803 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2009 in Ask the Experts
The barrels are 2 different sizes.
Colt2001.jpg
Colt2005.jpg
Colt2006.jpg
Colt2007.jpg
Colt2011.jpg
Colt2012.jpg
Colt2018.jpg
Now for the second gun
Colt2022.jpg
Colt2029.jpg
Colt2034.jpg
Colt2040.jpg
Colt2047.jpg
Colt2048.jpg

Comments

• Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are there caliber markings anywhere on the barrel? They appear to be 1st Generation Colt Single Action Army revolvers-they look like .45 Colt or .44 WCF. I believe the 2nd one was made sometime in 1877. The first one I'm not so sure of because it LOOKS like it may be pieced together from different guns(like a rebuild that happend to military guns in the old west) because of the different numbers--the 116675 would make it a about a 1886 gun. There is a sticky at the top of the Experts page that has links to all the different gun makers serial numbers that can sometimes help with dating--Bert H. though is really the expert when it comes to these old guns. As to value would depend on what someone is willing to pay but Colt SAA's go from $1000 on up up UP.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I don't see any markings at all. I don't know why they don't have them on all guns, I can't tell by just looking at it.
  • Options
    shaneshane Member Posts: 882 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can't help you with prices but you have some cool guns there!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bono after checking a lot of other SAA's on the auction side I sure noticed a bunch of them didn't have caliber markings either--most likely from age, being worn etc. There was 1 .41 Colt that I found that still had decent markings and a .44-40 that had .44 CF on the trigger guard and a .45 that had .45 CAL stamped on the trigger guard----on the left side of the gun. You can always get a Colt letter for a fee that will give you more info on the gun like who it was originally shipped to, caliber etc and can enhance the value of the gun--you really owe it to yourself to look at other SAA's on the auction side if you are going to sell these guns.

here is one for reference where they stamped the trigger guard
    http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=127969617
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ruger41
    Bono after checking a lot of other SAA's on the auction side I sure noticed a bunch of them didn't have caliber markings either--most likely from age, being worn etc. There was 1 .41 Colt that I found that still had decent markings and a .44-40 that had .44 CF on the trigger guard and a .45 that had .45 CAL stamped on the trigger guard----on the left side of the gun. You can always get a Colt letter for a fee that will give you more info on the gun like who it was originally shipped to, caliber etc and can enhance the value of the gun--you really owe it to yourself to look at other SAA's on the auction side if you are going to sell these guns.

here is one for reference where they stamped the trigger guard
    http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=127969617

Thanks Ruger!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You bet---but remember Bert H. and others like Old-Colts & rufe-snow are MUCH more of experts than I could ever hope to be so definately seek their advice--I just happen to like old west era guns more than the modern stuff.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    They both look to be at least pre 1890 vintage, and one is about an 1878 vintage...according to the blue book. One is potentially valuable, and the other is about a $500.00-1000.00 parts gun...meaning it was thrown together from a bin of parts from many SAA's that have been scavenged for parts. They are both intermediate blackpowder frames. While one has an early blackpowder grip frame....that is the best I can do, withour a hands on inspection.

Best

EDIT:

Thanks Perry, and Hawk. I was pretty sure there was something I was missing...just couldn't put my thumb on it.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello second gun in rough Shape HOWEVER see the US on the left side of frame near the trigger guard. Your first pistol also has this mark THIS [^][:p][:)] Mark denotes it was U.S. army Issue . Many of these pistols were sent back to colt for refinish It may be non matching but the sum of it's parts Grips, Cylinder,Frame,Hammer, Barrel ETC could still be worth some $$$
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gun no 116675 (The serial number on the frame ahead of the trigger guard is the official legal number.) is an "Artillery Model." The "US" on the left side, the 5 1/2" barrel, and the mixed numbers on various parts show it is one of the many Army issue guns refurbished at Colt or Springfield Armory. The barrels were shortened or replaced and other repairs made as necessary. Matching numbers would of course be more desirable but they did not take care to keep serial numbered parts together, especially in the 1902 rebuild program, and the gun is most likely perfectly legitimate, not just a collection of odds and ends.
    This gun was made in 1885 but was likely overhauled about 1895 and probably again in 1902 for reissue in the Philippine Insurrection. The official issue in those days was the Colt New Army .38 Long Colt but a lot of troops in the Philippines preferred the old .45 for its stopping power against the Moros.

Gun no 31926 was made in 1876, according to Proofhouse.com. It has a faint US (military) marking, too. It escaped the overhaul process, maybe because it had already been surplused or pilfered, and retains its 7 1/2" barrel and at least some matching numbered parts as shown in the picture of frame and trigger guard numbers.

I won't guess a dollar value but the guns are what you might call Historically Significant, being US Army sidearms from the frontier and early international eras.
  • Options
    pecosparkpecospark Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The first one APPEARS to be an artillary. Only a Colt letter will confirm . The second one should have a matching # below the grip. The front sight on the second one does not appear to be correct.Both should be .45.(black powder ,of course) If they are both functional, and you want to sell, this is a good venue.