In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Need at trick of the trade

5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
edited June 2009 in Ask the Experts
How do I modify the seating plug on the seater die so it doesn't mess up the bullet tip?

Comments

• perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    The seater plug can be ordered for many types of bullet nose shapes Other then that I chuck mine in my lathe and Turn the plug to match my bullet. NOTE If you are loading 45ACP semi wadcutter. Turn it so you only touch the bullet on the shoulder behind the nose this will cause the bullet to seat straight and uniform as to OAL.
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another possibility, low tech for sure, is to rough up the inside of the stem, coat it with an appropriate amount of liquid steel, coat a bullet with a good release agent, seat the bullet and leave the press arm down for as long as it takes for the l.s. to set. A temporary fix, but I have some dies that have been doing well like that for years with no need to change. Depending on the original profile of the stem, and the profile of the new bullets, you may have to deepen the cavity before applying the l.steel. Only down side I've encountered is that this tends to work best only with the specific ogive used in forming the stem.
  • fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    since i had lee dies i sent a bullet and they made a special seat plug for my die
  • AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    An even older trick is to do as RCrosby suggests only use Plastic Wood. (I think they still make that, don't they?)
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    5mmgunguy,

If the seater plug basically fits the ogive of the bullets you want to load, just drill a relief hole in the center of the plug so that the bullets tip doesn't get smashed.

Best.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I put lapping compound on a bullet I want to use, shuch the seater stem in a drill, and hold the bullet firmly in place while spinning the seating stem in the drill. This will make the stem fit whatever bullet you choose.