In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

out of state gun purchase rules

RobinRobin Member Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2006 in Ask the Experts
Gentlemen
I am a Florida resident, my daughter lives in Georgia. I want to buy a rifle from a gun shop near her home next time I visit. Can I make a face to face purchase at the gun shop or do I need to pick up the FFL paperwork from a Florida FFL holder and have it shipped to Florida?

Georgia recognizes Florida residents CCW licenses, it seems like they would allow a Florida resident to buy a long gun.
Where would I look for this kind of information? Is it federal laws, state laws or both that control this? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have to look in Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide (ATF P5300.4), available online at the ATF website. Or, request a copy from ATF. Or, ask a local dealer.

The answer to your question is, "It depends." FL counties have specific rules, so we need to know exactly where you live & exactly what gun.

Federal law says a face to face for long guns is OK, IF it is legal in both states.

Neal
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Call the gun shop and ask if he will do the "face to face" If not do the ffl transfer.
  • Options
    RobinRobin Member Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info, I live in Volusia County, Florida the gun shop is in DeKalb County, Georgia
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Robin- check w/ the dealer, but ATF says you may face to face with a FFL holder for long guns so long as gun is legal in your state of domicile.