In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Sighting in Burris scope on 270 Remington WSM

7lazy777lazy77 Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
edited December 2008 in Ask the Experts
I just got a new Remington 270 WSM along with a Burris Fullfield II 3x9x40 scope. This is my first rifle with a scope & I am trying to get some helpful hints at sighting in since I have never done before. I have read the instructions & gathered some information from the salesperson, so this is where I am at.....
I am going to zero it in at 200 yds.
I will be shooting the Winchester 130 grain ballistic round.
Will I be able to shoot out from 50 yards & would this be pretty close to zero at 200 yds? Sorry to sound like an idiot, but like I said, I have never sighted one in before & I am looking for ANY helpful suggestions.
Thanks

Comments

• perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    In the old days in the military We would zero at 1000 inches. with iron sights and this would get us close at 100 yards. Remember with a scoped rifle The line of sight is a straight line but the bullet flight is an arc. on top of this the line of sight starts out at about 1.5 inches above the bore line. depending on what kind of scope mounts. So with that said the point of impact will be exactly the same as the line of sight TWO TIMES once as it crosses from below the line of sight and once as the arc takes the bullet flight down and it crosses on the downward part of it's flight I would think that a ZERO at 50 yards would be slightly low at 200 yards. Better to zero at the longest range possible but zero at 50 yards should be Minute of Deer at 200 yards.
  • 7lazy777lazy77 Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    PerryShooter...Thanks for the info & that makes sense. BUT I think what is confusing me more than anything is I am comparing the scope ballistic with the Winchester WSM 130 grain ballistics. Do I just use the scope ballistics or the round ballistics to sight the scope in? Or do I use both of them together & somehow "compensate" for the difference? The following is the ballistics on each from the scope manual & off Winchesters website (for the 270 WSM round):

Burris scope
    (Magnum Calibers)
    yds. drop @ 200 yd zero
    100, 200 1.2, 0
    300 -4.5
    400 -18
    500 -38
    600 -66

Winchester ammo
    (270 WSM 130 grain)
    yds. long trajectory
    100 1.1
    150 1.1
    200 0
    250 -2.2
    300 -5.5
    400 -16.1
    500 -32.8

How do I use these two charts to sight in rifle? THANKS
  • BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    Bore sighting - if you determine that you want to zero at 50 yards, set up your target, and find a solid rest for the rifle. Remove the bolt and look down the bore until you center it as close as possible on the bulls eye. Next adjust your scope to match what you see down the barrel. This method should get you on the paper and you will be able to dial it on in from there. Then you can test it at your preferred max distance and fine tune it.
  • MtnloverMtnlover Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    With all due respect to both fine manufacturers, neither one can predict what the ballistics will be for your rifle with that load. Burris cannot know WHICH magnum caliber or bullet you will use and neither can know what altitude you will be hunting at. The air at timberline here in Colorado is quite thin, for example, and your rifle will shoot flatter in thin air than in the Midwest due to less resistance. On top of that, unless you clock those loads through a chronograph with your rifle, you don't really know what the muzzle velocity will be, published speeds notwithstanding.

That aside, I set my 270WSM 2.4" high at 100yds, which gives me a zero at about 265 yds. at 8000' altitude. Highest point is 3" at 150 yds. and I'm better prepared for longer shots. Not knowing how long your shots may be, I'd recommend you sight in at 100 yards, since the parallax on your scope is set at the factory for about that range, (not 50 yards) and adjust the scope so you hit about 2" high. For a deer-sized target, you should be able to hold right on up to about 300 yards. That's a great combo you have and with some practice at the range, you can forget about canned data and start thinking about where on the wall to mount your trophy.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello 7lazy77,

For all practical purposes, those ballistics listed by Winchester, and the calibrated ballistic curve of your Burris scope, will be close enough for what you are looking for. Bore sight your rifle at close range...like 25-50 feet, by removing the bolt from the rifle, and placing the rifle in something solid where it can not move, and use the procedure posted by beeramid.

Next take it to the range and put it on paper at 25 yards. Adjust your scope so it is dead center at 25 yards. this should put you very close at 200 or close enough to be on the paper. I usually shoot at 100 then 200, and then 300 yards just to check and be sure I have a grasp on the trajectory. Both the Winchester and Burris literature are telling you to sight in so you are hitting 1.1-1.2 inches high at 100 yards and you will be 0 inches or dead on at 200 yards.

Ballistically speaking, there is not a real bid difference in trajectories of the standard belted magunm rounds from 6.5mm to 338, out to 500 yards. Just make sure your scope is square to your bore, and you have it mounted as low as possible.

Best