In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Saiga 7.62 x 39mm

model1892model1892 Member Posts: 88 ✭✭
edited December 2008 in Ask the Experts
Hello everyone, I'm knew to this forum. From the threads I have read I believe I may learn a few things here. I have a question about a gun I purchased yesterday.

I went to a gun shop in my area and purchased a Saiga AK-47 Variant,Russian American Armory Company, It has the rifle stock and is synthetic with a 10rd polymer magazine. From the looks of the stock I could tell that it had to be used, but from what I have seen most Ak's and SKS's aren't in the best condition. The Saiga I bought had some minor scratches on the stock and when you turn the gun to safety or fire, it make a half moon scrape on the stock which isnt appealing. The magazine feels cheap. I asked the seller was it used and he said no it's brand new. I asked if I bought a box of bullets would he come down on the price and he said I can't go any lower on it. I decided to purchase the gun and he went and brought out a box that it came with and a cleaning kit that was included with the gun. Wax paper was inside the box that wrapped around the gun. The other gentlemen working there also said it was brand new. The total was $373 with tax.

Other gun dealers that I have talked to about the purchase said the rifles comes in from russia and is handled through several people and then a middle man distributes the guns to cities and by the time they arrive, they have some wear and tare on them. I just hope I didn't get ripped off.

Comments

• model1892model1892 Member Posts: 88 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A few of my other friends that are in the gun business told me I made a good deal and came out good because the prices of assault rifles are going up. I cleaned the ak rifle up and oiled it down and bought a nice Surefire 30rd magazine that fits perfect. Also I bought a black sling for it to dress it up. I now have about $425 in it.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The way things are happening nowadays, you more then likely will be able to double your money in three months.
    edited November -1
    It will probably vary in price just like gas
  • chaosrobchaosrob Member Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    well it sounds like this thing was on display, and was handled by many people (like you yourself did) before you came in and purchased it. A lot like you can buy a brand new revolver in a store that already has a turn ring around the cylinder from people handling it, even though it is still "new".
    edited November -1
    You are exactly right. It was displaying right against the wall.
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 1/2 moon scratch on the receiver is from the selector and is normal.

The Saiga in stock form (no pistol grip) uses a proprietary 10rd magazine. The Saiga is missing a bullet feed ramp that is required to work std AK magazines.

If you want to use std AK magazines you will need to convert it yourself or find an AK builder to covert it. Here's is a link to the conversion process:
    http://www.cross-conn.com/Saiga_Conversion/
    edited November -1
    Very detailed website. I appreciate everything. I wish I had bought one back in 2003, man they were cheap.
  • joshmb1982joshmb1982 Member Posts: 8,929
    edited November -1
    is a siaga the same/similar to the sa 2000m yago aks that take the 10rd mags?
  • Red_FlyRed_Fly Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just completed the conversion on the Saiga 7.62, parts were easy to order and I used the http://www.cross-conn.com/Saiga_Conversion/ website for reference. Keep in mind that he is converting a .223.
    It is now 922R compliant. My replacement parts included a Tapco FCG, Strikeforce 6-way adj/folding stock. (By the way it is a stamped receiver on the Saiga), a US made gas piston. I purchased 30-rnd Romainian mags and replaced the followers and floorplates with US made parts.
    What I did find was that the receiver was already tooled for the piston grip, there was not cutting or grinding required.
    I machined my on own bullet guide.
    I have fired a half-dozen mags through it and have only had one misfire. The more I shoot it the smoother it seems to operate.