In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

WW2 cyq P38 Extractor Spring

whwilsonwhwilson Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
edited December 2008 in Ask the Experts
While trying to resolve a jamming problem with this gun, I took it down. I have an extractor question that should be pretty easy to answer -- With the slid and barrel off, the extractor moves freely - if I hold the gun up, the extractor pivots down. If I hold it upside down it swings back in place. I checked field striping procedure on line and says to hold extractor down during reassembly indicating there should be some tension. I know the replacement spring package for the P38 includes an extractor spring. How should the extractor perform?

Comments

• p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Like Monica Lewinsky on Bill Clintons crotch.

You should be able to push it, but without pressure, it should not move from position. Sounds like your spring needs replacing.
  • whwilsonwhwilson Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    p3skyking - good one. Just so I get it, when you push the extractor down, should it spring back up on it's own - I wonder if Slick Willie gets that same reaction from your new Sec of State![}:)]
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    whwilson,
    You should be able to push outward like the extractor does when griping a cartridge rim and it should go back to position which is parallel to the slide. There should be a spring and a plunger that push the extractor forward with no play. Many people lose the plunger and this may be the problem with your weapon. The plunger is visible without removing the extractor. If you just see spring, that is wrong.
  • whwilsonwhwilson Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got it - thanks