In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

1911 rear sight

torizustorizus Member Posts: 120 ✭✭
edited December 2008 in Ask the Experts
Just ordered a Colt M1991A1 (Series 80 )in 38 super, I would like to change the factory rear sight to an adjustable one and am considering a 1911 Bomar Style rear ADJUSTABLE Bulls-eye sight. The specs on the sight says that it has a .359 x 60 degree standard Bomar dovetail sight Cut,will this fit on my Colt ?

Comments

• dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    NO, you will have to have a gunsmith mill a new dovetail slot and the back of the slide to low mount it. If you just have the dovetail cut, you will have to put a higher front sight on, as the rear will be too high.
  • torizustorizus Member Posts: 120 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm glad I asked first, thanks Dick
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Replacing front & rear sights on a 1911-type pistol is a common job for gunsmiths. (Brownells has a good selection of sight sets.) Even if he has to cut the slide, that's not a big deal. It's your gun, so do what you want with it.

On the other hand, changing the sights will cause the resale value to take a nose-dive. Unless you're a serious target shooter, I'd think long & hard before doing that.

Neal
  • Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
  • MadmanMadman Member Posts: 601 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Neal is correct. Those target sights make it almost impossible to "give it away". Had a pretty series 70 I obtained in a trade from a friend and had to settle for $500 on a $750 1911 easy with the correct rear sight.

Paul
    Mountain Magic Gunsmithing
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I agree for the need for better sights . I also agree that modified pistols don't command the same price as a STOCK pistol . That is why I favor the series 70 Gold Cup. The sights are not quite as good as Bomars but the pistol can remain stock . A gun with good sights is much more fun to shoot and you can improve your marksmanship .much easier then with a pistol with poor sights . SIGHT ALIGNMENT is KEY to hitting what you aim at with a pistol.