In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Curious about C&R license

SlugSlinger357SlugSlinger357 Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
edited April 2009 in Ask the Experts
I would like to know if it's worth applying for a C&R license?
I find that many firearms that I am interested in fall under this category. Is the cost the same as an FFL?
With a C&R, do I still need to pay DROS?
Thanks

Comments

• iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Much cheaper than a FFL - $30 or so for a few years IIRC.

Not sure on the DROS fees. Be aware that you'll have to keep a bound book, be open to inspection, etc. and that the C&R is not for business - collection purposes only.
  • dogtown tomdogtown tom Member Posts: 170 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SlugSlinger357
    I find that many firearms that I am interested in fall under this category. Is the cost the same as an FFL?
    Thanks

A Curio & Relic (C&R) License IS an FFL. It is an 03FFL- "Collector of Curios and Relics. It cost $30 for three years and is worth every penny due to the discount you will get from Brownells, Midway, etc.

It IS NOT a dealers FFL, that is an 01FFL- "Dealer in Firearms". An 01FFL cost $200 for the first three years and requires you to be in the business of dealing in firearms. You may not get an 01FFL to simply enhance your collection.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As the guys have said. Some states place additional restrictions on what a C&R FFL is good for.

In MOST states, I find a firearm that is classed as C&R, the seller (who is a FFL holder) and I come to agreement on price, I give seller money, and a xerox copy of my FFL. He logs it out of HIS bound volume as a transfer to another FFL- ME! In turn, I log it into MY bound volume.

Definitely worth getting if you like something other than the golly gee brand new model that just came out. You will stay broke, tho!
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Look at it this way. If the things you like are mostly C&R elegible, and you buy one today, you will pay your transfer FFL, what? $15-$40 for the transfer. The C&R FFL costs $30 for three years, so with 1 or 2 purchases you have saved the price of a single tranfer, and after that you are saving more. The BATF has info about the C&R permit and application on their web site, and the application is a simple process. If you have a regional BATF office near you, they can also provide the application materials and answer questions. Getting one takes no special brains or inside knowledge, and you know that is true because I have one. You can do it.
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    DROS is the California Dealer Record of Sales, which is the state background check used in place of Brady. C&R FFLs cannot be used in CA for the direct shipment of C&R handguns, handguns will still have to go the a FFL dealer and then DROSed. Long guns can be shipped directly to you, but CA mandates that only firearms over 50 years old qualify as Curio and Relics so certain guns might not qualify under CA regulations. At $30 the C&R FFL is a handy little item to have. I am an FFL dealer and I still hold a C&R simply because it is so useful and so inexpensive.
  • SlugSlinger357SlugSlinger357 Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very helpful!
    I'm a sucker for old 'western' style guns...
    So I figured a C&R would be very useful.
    Thanks for the confirmation.
  • rhmc24rhmc24 Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Doesn't the C&R require shipment other than Priority mail? Such as UPS overnite. That would make a difference of about $25-30 per shipment. Most pieces I receive via FFL come Priority usps.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have received both long and hand guns via USPS.
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SlugSlinger357
    Thanks

You may want to also visit the Calguns site for CA specific info on C & Rs. As noted, you can not use your C & R to receive handguns, but of course you can buy C & R handguns "cash & carry" when you're in another state. CA hasn't (yet) figured out a way to stop that, I picked up a very nice Colt 1903 two weeks ago at the Reno Gun Show. Once back in CA, send in $19.00 self register form & you're done

Keep in mind CA transfer costs are generally higher than most states. A transfer fee of $150.00 total is not unheard of - factor that into the cost of a C & R rifle & it kind of kills the deal, but if you have a C & R you can skip those costs on long guns.

If you get a C & R you should also get the CA COE (Certificate of Eligibility) as it allows you to skip the 10 day wait on C & R long guns AND C & R handguns. So a It also allows exempts you from the "one per 30 day" handgun restriction, to include modern handguns. Costs about $100.00 for 1st year, $20.00 or so to renew.
  • SlugSlinger357SlugSlinger357 Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    "If you get a C & R you should also get the CA COE (Certificate of Eligibility) as it allows you to skip the 10 day wait on C & R long guns AND C & R handguns. So a It also allows exempts you from the "one per 30 day" handgun restriction, to include modern handguns. Costs about $100.00 for 1st year, $20.00 or so to renew."

I thought there is no 10 day waiting period with just a C&R alone.
    So does that refer only to purchases made through a dealer? (re:COE)
    What about private party or gun show transactions?