In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What is the correct name?

garanchgaranch Member Posts: 3,681
edited September 2006 in Ask the Experts
Could you please tell me what is the correct term for a "Butt hook, or shoulder hook" that you see on alot of target rifles. Thank you.

Comments

• garanchgaranch Member Posts: 3,681
    edited November -1
    I have a Marlin 39A lever action 22cal rifle. What is the correct name for the rod that has to be pulled out before the magazine can be loaded and then pushed back into place after the loading is complete. I know this is an elementary question for you experts but I need to know so that I refer to the part correctly. Thanks, Doc
  • HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In my shooting days I always heard them referred to as a hook buttplate.
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Winchester used several types, but the most common was referred to as a "Swiss" butt plate. There were two types of butt plates used on the Model 1885 Schuetzen rifle... the Helm pattern, and the Laudnesack pattern. These are referred to as "Schuetzen butt plates"
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by garanch
    Could you please tell me what is the correct term for a "Butt hook, or shoulder hook" that you see on alot of target rifles. Thank you.

If you are talking about the modern ANSCHUTZ type rifles it is called a butt hook or hooked butt plate.