In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

ballester molina question.

jprocks97jprocks97 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited October 2006 in Ask the Experts
Is there an easy explaination for why some of these sell for over 1,000.00 but most of them are selling for 400.00 or less?
Thanks for the help

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I owned a number of them in the past, they sure as heck didn't go for that kind of money back then. Maybe if you could prove that it was Eva Peron's personal Ballester Molina, Madonna would buy it off you?
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Condition, condition, condition, But I also would be hard pressed to pay 1K unless it was a "rare' variation. and even this I would want documentation . 90% of guns advertized as rare are only rare to the seller.The % of surviors of a model may be small and these will go for big bucks but the gun itself was not rare.These are very good pistols by the way.
  • notdownoroutnotdownorout Member Posts: 274 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    jprocks,

Between Ballester Rigaud and Ballester Molina I have 8 of these guns. Two of them have much higher value:

1. British Ballester Molina - marked with two serial numbers - one denotes British requirement for guns made for brits. "B" prefix for this number on the right side of frame.

2. Ballester Molina 22LR trainer. Equivalent model to the Colt Ace. Built for training purposes. Bluebook 3 yrs. ago had value as 2X values given for this model. Version 2.4 of Bluebook does not have this sidenote.

As far as value, most of the suppliers (SOG, etc etc.) haven't had any of these Ballester's for quite a while now. I have seen the going prices raise in the last two years.

Watch for original finish guns. The arsenal rebuilds are not holding value near as well. Both of the above mentioned guns are original finish. It took me about 3 yrs. to find these two guns. Well I found them but those guns were way overpriced compared to what I finally gave for the two I own.
  • knucklehead14knucklehead14 Member Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1