In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

M1 Question

gunluv280gunluv280 Member Posts: 178 ✭✭
edited November 2002 in Ask the Experts
Hey guys, FNG here with a quick question about an M1 I have. I was showing it to a person interested in buying it last week, and he said it was not all that valuable, as there was no date stamped anywhere on the gun. He further stated that this meant it was not used in battle.
I know by the SN when the rifle was made, but was curious if he was talking out of his @ss, or if there is any truth to what he said.
Thanks.
Jason

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    This is probably a stupid question but.......I own an M1 Garand (Springfield) and I know by its serial number that was built in June 1942. I was wondering if there is any way to trace the history of a particular M1 by it's serial number to find out what units it may have been issued to during it's service with the US Army. Seems like somewhere there might be records on this sort of thing......anybody have any ideas?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have one that was mfg. in 1943 I believe, Ser#1,565,345. The barrel I think is orig. to that see.#? It is 2 S-A-5-43. I'm I correct? Thanks
  • Options
    elect1mikeelect1mike Member Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had one and tried to trace it but I never got anything out of it.

col elect1mike Illinois
    volinters RRG
    O give me a home where no democrats roam
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are a few hundred M1's that have been documented as having been used in a particular battle in the South Pacific. There are also a couple of M1D's that can be documented. Other than that, there are no records of issuance or use.

Neal