In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Rust removal

brummiejimbrummiejim Member Posts: 324 ✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in Ask the Experts
I just picked up a couple of older progressive reloaders. One is a Star in 44mag and the other is a Size O Matic 800B in 12ga. They both have some rust on them that I would like to remove. Is there anything better than steel wool and gun oil. How about the Rust/ Blue remover I have seen in the gun cleaning products. Any help would be great.

Thanks
John

Comments

• brummiejimbrummiejim Member Posts: 324 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got a Ruger No.1 and its got just the slightest hint of rust 'bout a quarter inch long and as wide as the thickness of a credit card and its right on the edge where the reciever meets the forend. Whats the best way to remove this or dissolve it w/o damaging the bluing?
    edited November -1
    Hi, experts. I'm looking at a shotgun that has a spot of rust on the receiver about the size of an oval quarter. Is there a product that anyone can recommend that removes rust with out removing the bluing? If not, if untreated will the spot stay its present size? A friend says once rust starts it keeps spreading. If I sand it can anyone recommend a bluing product to re-blue the sanded spot? Finish questions and re-finishing is not my strong point. Thanks for any feed back. Jim
    edited November -1
    I have a barrel from a very old pistol that has heavy rust. I want to take this down to bare metal. Short of sandblasting or a wire brush on my grinder, how can I do this. This is way past the chrome polish on a car bumper situation. Can I soak it in anything?

Thanks,

cbxjeffIt's too late for me, save yourself.
    edited November -1
    I have a Remington model 700 inline muzzleloader. It has several heavy rust spots inside the barrel and MANY small spots on the exterior. It happened when my basement flooded. How can I remove the rust? Thanks to all.
    edited November -1
    What product works the best or what technique works the best for taking rust off guns without removing finish?!?
    edited November -1
    I need to remove some rust from a blue S&W K frame and leave as much of the finish as possible. Who's got the secret for the best way to do it?
    Thanks,
    Jim

[:D] Every time I shoot I hit something [:D]
    edited November -1
    I have rust on several guns that I recent;y bought. I am wondering what is the best way to remove this rust is?
    edited November -1
    Howdy Pards,

I know it's been discussed over and over again but, what are the best ways to remove surface rust from old shootin' irons (without leavin' 60 grit scratches of course)?!

Thanks,

MW
    edited November -1
    i just bought a belgium .320 folding trigger revolver and there is rust around the hammer and inside around the cylender. i was wondering the best way 2 remove this without damaging the gun?
    edited November -1
    Is there a way to remove rust from a blued gun without doing more damage?
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Keep the area wet with KROIL for 24 hours and then use a brass pot scrubber be aware it will not remove blueing but the rust may already have done that under the rust on the spot[:(!]
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Then, when it is as clean as you can get it, coat it will several coat of a hard carnuba wax like Trewax. That will greatly slow the return of the rust.
  • broknaxlbroknaxl Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Brownells also sells bronze wool for this purpose.
  • PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I have had the best results with magnesium wool.