In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Help identifying this gun please?

babywilsonbabywilson Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited May 2009 in Ask the Experts
Dont know what this gun is or where it was made. Could anyone give me a discription on this? How old? What can I get for it? Thank you.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

Comments

• perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    As it appears now it is post 1830 but may be an earlier Flintlock converted to percussion likely made in INDIA as it shows no proof marks . I am not an expert on this style but I did sleep in a Holiday Inn Express once[;)][:I] Put up for sale on this site starting at $1.00 you will get bids and it will bring what it is worth.

Edit the reason I said India was during this time frame these type of pistols were used as last line of defense when hunting Tigers from a basket on top of Elephant as they did in India during British control but with no English proof marks.some guns made in India were higher quality then those made in other Arab governed countries.
  • upjumtddeblupjumtddebl Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Quality seems a little above average for a Middle Eastern piece. pull the barrels and look for proof marks underneath before you take another step on this one
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    like upjump said, it looks too 'good' to be third world quality. carefully disassemble. in the mean time google 'HOWDA PISTOL'
  • CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Well, you found my pistol, now if I could just remember where I parked my elephant. That is a nice piece.
    W.D.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Forsyth scent bottle lock was patented in 1807.

Neal
  • rhmc24rhmc24 Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    French mid 1700s. Originally flintlock coverted to percussion. Looking good and un-messed-around-with; post on GB auctions for $800 might bring twice that. Can't disagree with looking for internal marks but made too early to find much more than a maker's punch mark on bottom of barrels with initials. I have had couple of these in flint. Can't imagine original purpose other than home defense, being very ungainly due almost 4" wide at locks.
  • altnuttaltnutt Member Posts: 80
    edited November -1
    Thank you to all, I am worried about disassembling the gun as I don't want to damage it. Is it pretty simple just undo the screws and such? Do I unscrew all the screws or the ones in the front?

Altnutt
  • rhmc24rhmc24 Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are not comfortable with taking it apart I suggest you not do it. You are right about possibility of damage. One of the major mistakes people tend to make is remove screws without knowing why they are there or what they do. If you want to do it, send me an email with your email address via my profile and I will send you instructions which will include my disclaimer.