In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Taurus 44-TEN Review?

RLL2966RLL2966 Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
edited September 2006 in Ask the Experts
I'm thinking about buying one in SS w/6.5" barrel. I couldn't find any write-ups on it. I wondered if anyone has one and what they think of it? Does the rifled barrel have any affect on the shot pattern of the 410 or doesn't it matter with that short of barrel? Also, does the long chamber do anything to the .45LC's accuracy? I know that it's not a target revolver and it has fixed sights, but is it fairly accurate? It looks like it would be a good gun for pests around the house and a fun shooter. Thanks, Rob

Comments

• Options
    rediceredice Member Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the short barreled model blued, and planning to do a write up but I want to test my bp reloads before I do and I dont have the punches I need yet.

The rifling may very well have an affect on the shot patern, I cant say for certain because I havent been able to test without shot cups. In one online review it was stated the rifling caused the shot cups to dispurse the shot uneavenly. In my loads you dont use shot cups just wad so it may make a difference I just havent tested enough to know for sure yet.

It has around a 6" group at 30 yards with .45lc cowboy loads from pmc or whatever which is half what my uberty did with the same ammunition, so it is accurate with .45lc.

I tried 000 buckshot cant hit poop with those totally eratic.

#6 shot and #8 cover a 2' by 2' area at 30 yards possibly worse but again I have more testing to really see whats happening, once I get it tested I will post about it but right now im still futsing around with it.

btw in one review I read the 6 inch barrel made paterns and accuracy worse, I dont recal where I read it but you may want to look into that.

Also S&W 500 holsters work for these ok, perfectly with a little modification adding a stich or rivet down by the barrel tightens it up to make it a perfect fit or as close to as possible. Again I will post pics and more info when I get done testing, will probably go buy a punch today since it doesnt seem that the place I ordered mine from is sending them... :(
  • Options
    sotheresothere Member Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Apparently these do not have the choke tube to stop the wad from spinning as in the BFR or the Contender,eliminating the centrifical force generated by the wad engaging the rifling.
  • Options
    beararms2beararms2 Member Posts: 79 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That weapon wasn't designed to be a tack driver, but it being a Taurus I would trust it to be a sound weapon. I personally have been looking at getting one to keep bedside. I believe it would make an outstanding anti-intruder weapon that, loaded with buckshot, could be as quick and most likely more effective than almost anything out there at stopping an assailant.
  • Options
    rediceredice Member Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by beararms2
    That weapon wasn't designed to be a tack driver, but it being a Taurus I would trust it to be a sound weapon. I personally have been looking at getting one to keep bedside. I believe it would make an outstanding anti-intruder weapon that, loaded with buckshot, could be as quick and most likely more effective than almost anything out there at stopping an assailant.

For in house ranges I would say buckshot would be affective, however a heavy shot would be even moreso I think, the buckshot seemed to be very very irratic of course I was shooting at 30 yards so thats a bit farther than in house shooting, I will have to test that again but personally I didnt like the buckshot it didnt seem to chamber well it was a lot tighter than the regular shells and didnt seem like the best thing to be shooting out of a rifled barrel. Duno just didnt like it its probably fine thow.

edit: oh ya btw my punches came right after I wrote my previus reply, and I was able to load up 9 #6 shot loads in .444 marlin brass with 1/8" cork wads and paper overshot about 85 bb's each or 1/2 oz same as factory so I hopefully will be trying them out tommorow.