In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Who Makes Western Field 40N ?

tigerpaw53tigerpaw53 Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
edited September 2006 in Ask the Experts
I have a Western Field 40N 12GA pump Shotgun and I was trying to find a manual for it online. I can not find any other markings on the gun and can not locate any manufacturer of the gun. Does anyone know who made it and where I might find information on it. THANK!

Comments

• njretcopnjretcop Member Posts: 7,975
    edited November -1
    Noble.........Original Noble number was 40NA
  • tigerpaw53tigerpaw53 Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Charlie - do you know if they are still in business?quote:Originally posted by njretcop
    Noble.........Original Noble number was 40NA
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They've been out of business since I believe the early 80's? They made some of the early pump shotguns for Smith & Wesson before S&W went to Howa as the manufacture, and those were taken over by Mossberg before they discontinued them.
    I'm not sure on your model, but some of the Nobles had a bronze bolt carrier that was prone to breaking, and unlocking the bolt when the gun was fired. Not good on the gun or the shooter.
    http://www.e-gunparts.com/model.asp?idDept=181
    edited November -1
    Thanks Trap. It has a brass trigger guard but the bolt carrier appears to be steel. I am trying to take it apart and am having problems removing the barrel. I assume it screws off but I can not get it started.

quote:Originally posted by TRAP55
    They've been out of business since I believe the early 80's? They made some of the early pump shotguns for Smith & Wesson before S&W went to Howa as the manufacture, and those were taken over by Mossberg before they discontinued them.
    I'm not sure on your model, but some of the Nobles had a bronze bolt carrier that was prone to breaking, and unlocking the bolt when the gun was fired. Not good on the gun or the shooter.
    http://www.e-gunparts.com/model.asp?idDept=181
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    S&W bought noble in the 1970's (I believe), very similar to the S&W m-916. the barrel is not 'user removable' on most of these.
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the information Mike, the model is really helpful. If you ever need proof the barrel is not removable you can use me as a reference. Thanks Again!

quote:Originally posted by MIKE WISKEY
    S&W bought noble in the 1970's (I believe), very similar to the S&W m-916. the barrel is not 'user removable' on most of these.
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The S&W 916T has a removable bbl, but I "think" the Noble 40 series was an earlier gun of different design.