In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

S&W question

ginmasterginmaster Member Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2006 in Ask the Experts
What do the following letters / numbers......06XA2, LGGGR, BO, SF, SI, FS, CS and ZS....under "Features" on the label of a S&W revolver box mean?

I'm having a brain-fart and can't make heads or tails. [:(!]

Comments

• ginmasterginmaster Member Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can anyone tell me what is meant when someone describes a S&W revolver as having a "recessed" cylinder? BT
    edited November -1
    Is there any particular reason why S&W stamp their Brand Logo on both the right side of the frame or the left side under the thumb latch ? I've seen the same models stamped both ways so apparently models aren't the deciding factor. I don't think I've ever heard or read an explanation as to why this is......just curious.
    edited November -1
    I picked this up today. Trying to figure out what model it is and when it was made. The serial number is D432XXX. The barrel is 4" long. The barrel is also pinned. The cylinder does not look like it's been recessed. Any help would be welcome. Thanks.

BTW it's a .38 special.
    colt002.jpg
    edited November -1
    I also posted this in the GD forum.

Was at the local hardware store this past weekend and happened to come across a beautiful looking like-new S&W .44 Mag. The tag said it was a "Deer Hunter". Can't remember the model(if it even said), but it had a 8" bbl. and light wood grips. Could anybody give me any information on this? I may get a chance to go back tomorrow and look, but wanted to see if I could find any info on it first, like reviews, model, value, etc. Normally not looking to spend that much on something like that, but I currently have no S&W guns, have been wanting a .44 Mag, and this one really caught my eye.

Jon
    edited November -1
    A freind has a S&W Model 13-1, blued, 4" barrel - I'll be kind & give it about 80% condition- can't find much to compare it to om auction list- I told him it probbaly was'nt worth more than a couple hundred, told him i'd check with the more knowedgeable here-
    AS.jpg
    edited November -1
    Actually 2 questions. Where is a site that will tell me what the varation number for any given model means? Also, does the same varation number mean the same thing for all models. For example,629 is P&R, 629-1 is not. Would, say a 686 be P&R and 686-1 not be?
    edited November -1
    I have a 38 S&W Pistol. It is marked on the top strap:
    U.S. PROPERTY G.H.D. I need to know what the G.H.D.
    STANDS FOR..THANKS...
    edited November -1
    Hi there,
    I am looking at a nice S&W breaktop revolver, .38, 5 shot cylinder. I think it is a 38DA (4th?) nI am not sure serial number is 536652. trying to decide if it is collectible and what I should pay for it. it is blued and has about 90-95% of the finish bore is good everthing it tight, black hard rubber grips. any information or recomendations are appreciated. thanks, Ed.
  • B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm no S&W expert but it looks like a model 10. Open the clyinder and look on the inside of the frame, it may be stamped there.
    edited November -1
    Yep, 10-6. Thanks.
  • Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes a model 10 with heavy barrel. They were also made with a standard or thinner barrel. Made about 1972.
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It was made in 1968. Model 10-6 started in 1962. D serial prefix started 1967. Diamond insert grips deleted 1968.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JamesRK
    It was made in 1968. Model 10-6 started in 1962. D serial prefix started 1967. Diamond insert grips deleted 1968.

DArn thing is a year younger than me. It's faired better than me through the years.
  • DBAR15DBAR15 Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's a very nice find, and it shoots very nicely. Your lucky. If you wheren't my brother I'd hate you.
  • ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Quote "The cylinder does not look like it's been recessed. Any help would be welcome. Thanks."

.38 spls were not recessed only .357s and .22s in the K frames were recessed.[:)]