In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Mini 14 optics?

groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
edited November 2002 in Ask the Experts
Have an older friend who has a Mini-14 and just open sights. He wants to scope it. I have never messed with one of the things other than to shoot a couple open sighted ones. What would ya'll recommend for me to recommend to him? Thanks in advance. GHD

Comments

• JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    GHD, I put a 40mm objective on my ranch rifle, and it hits the set screw on the upper handguard. If he has a non-ranch model, he might be able to clear the screw, If he has the ranch model, he should call Ruger and they will ship a higher set of rings. Tell him not to spend a load of $$$ on glass for that rifle, they are unimpressive as far as groups. Get a decent 3-9x40 for $150 or so.

Bushnell trophy
    simmons aetec

I'm a man,....but I can change,.....If I have to,......I guess.
  • mballaimballai Member Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A lot of people customize their Mini 14s. I'd scope one after getting a new barrel and a trigger job.

Three Precious Metals: Gold, silver and lead
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I but a B-square Mount on one of mine and you can use any 1 in scope you want.They are a very reliable mount.

Best!!!

Rugster

Toujours Pret
  • auburn_63auburn_63 Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got a 40mm Tasco World Class scope on my Mini stainless ranch. It fits fine with the factory rings. It depends on what kind of eye relief you need. If you slide the scope slightly forward in the rings, the bell of the scope won't hit the handguard. Do like I did, take the gun to a gun shop, they can set some scopes on there so you can look at it and see what you like, and what fits.
  • db3sdb3s Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I tried a couple of different receiver mounts on my regular (not ranch) Mini and did not like them much. I ended up with a forward, Scout style mount from Ranch Products. It replaces the top half of the gas block and has a weaver rail that is very solid. I've used both a red dot and a Tasco 2x pistol scope with great results. The RP mount is ab't $50 and requires no 'smithing or alterations.