In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Making 270 Win from 30-06 Brass?

travis3travis3 Member Posts: 341 ✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in Ask the Experts
Is there any reason I cannot form or make 270 Winchester brass from 30-06 brass?

Comments

• AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The neck will be .040" short and the headstamp will be wrong but they would work. And if you make a mistake and put one in a .30/06 it won't be dangerous to shoot (except, maybe, to something next to what you're shooting at). The bullet will just rattle down the bore. Brass is relatively cheap and lasts a long time so I make it a policy to use the right stuff.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, you CAN- but may not get the accuracy you are looking for. The 30-06 case is shorter than the 270. You may get some increase in length when sizing, but probably less than factory brass. run a couple thru, and check case OAL. Also check inside diameter at the case mouth- may be a bit tighter due to brass getting thicker from forming down. Again, try a couple of rounds thru the sizing die, mike them.
  • vdms55vdms55 Member Posts: 292 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    you can and i have. true, the brass is shorter but when i seat the projectile i make the OAL of the bullet the same as SAAMI (or what ever the acronim is)maximum lenght. i have experenced no problems thus far. one piece of advice. when you run the .o6 brass into the .270 FL die lube the shiz out of it first and use a quick stroke to push it in. i like to use a kroil soaked rag for the lube. i found that a slow stroke pushing the brass into the die results in crushed cases more often than a fast stroke.
  • travis3travis3 Member Posts: 341 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    VDMS55 Did you need to inside ream or neck turn your brass after forming? What brand 30-06 brass were you using? Thank you for your help.
  • Stevan1Stevan1 Member Posts: 138 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by travis3
    VDMS55 Did you need to inside ream or neck turn your brass after forming? What brand 30-06 brass were you using? Thank you for your help.
    I first re-sized and reloaded 30-06 cases to .270 in 1968.

I have fired almost all brands, wts., and shapes of .270 bullets with them. Be sure the 06 cases are very clean, lightly lubed, and use a full length re-sizing die period! No matter what someone tells you on the amount of lube to use, just use enough to slicken the case. Otherwise you will deform the neck due to uneven die pressures caused by the excess lubricant. Adjust bullet seating to accommodate a slightly shorter case length and you have it. See no difference in accuracy what so ever.

One caution, assuming you use a once fired case, watch the neck area and just below when reloading that case. The brass seems to thin quickly after 4-5 reloads.
  • bobinwisbobinwis Member Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    G'morning,

Reading all the responses you received on your query, the general tone appears to be "Yah, but.....". Reloading is not a trivial pursuit. Pop the cash for a couple boxes of factory loaded ammo and be done with it. No chance for a mistake of what's being loaded with what.

Regards, Bob
    edited November -1
    Hi Bob, In these times money is short but I do have a couple 100 30-06 brass and no 30-06. I do have a bolt action 270 to feed. Just wanted to see how it worked out for others that have tried forming the 06 to 270win. I have been loading for over 40 years!
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    No problem whatsoever. I have made 270, 8X57, 7X57, 7.65X54, 7.7X58, and .308 out of 30-06. Whether you need to neck ream for thickness will depend on your gun chamber. See if a dummy round will chamber after resizing.

No problem having the case a little short, though it could impact accuracy.

Incidentally I've gone the other way as well; necking up a 270 to 30-06 and trimming to length.
  • bobinwisbobinwis Member Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good evenin' Travis and thanks for responding. You filled in all the gaps I was thinking of. Shouldn't be any problems then. Let us know how they turn out.

Happy sizing and keep your powder dry, Bob
    edited November -1
    Thanks to everyone for their help. I will give it a try.
    travis3