In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Shipping Powder ???? 's

Brown Bass HunterBrown Bass Hunter Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
edited May 2009 in Ask the Experts
Could someone with more experience please help me with the issue of shipping smokeless gun powder. I am an individual wanting to ship 3-5 1 lb. container of powder. UPS said NO. FedEx was helpful, but the lady could not find the "code" powder was under. She said if it was a "1.4..." they could accept it and for me to find out and call her back. I just want to do this the legal way and I know one of you can help. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Go to the UPS web site and look up the regs. The dummies that answer the phone DON'T KNOW A THING [:(!][xx(] You need to go to a depot to ship.
  • NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    You will need to go to a UPS or Fedex hub, not store to ship it. You need to talk to one of them.

Also there is a $22.50 Hazmat charge per package on top of normal shipping.
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes by all means go to a UPS or Fed/Ex hub. I ship using both but be aware at least at my Fed/Ex hub any firearms, ammunition, primers or powder has to be shipped Fed/Ex Express not ground. This will add considerable cost to your shipping fees. Go with UPS in this case.
  • EOD GuyEOD Guy Member Posts: 931
    edited November -1
    Smokeless powder is classed by DOT as a Division 4.1 Flammable Solid. It would require hazardous materials shipping papers, marking, and labeling; along with associated hazmat charges.

I doubt that UPS would accept a hazmat package from someone who hasn't been trained and certified to properly prepare a hazmat package.
  • hk-91hk-91 Member Posts: 10,050
    edited November -1
    I was going to buy powder from a guy online here along with acouple friends. we were looking to buy 50 pounds of it from him but he couldnt find a way to ship it.
  • flyingtorpedoflyingtorpedo Member Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would sell it locally. I think it would be such a pain in the rear to ship it legally. A local gunstore, gunshow, or maybe even an ad in the newspaper. Or you can do an auction where it has to be picked up or you will drive so far to meet the person.
  • partisanpartisan Member Posts: 6,414
    edited November -1
    Just remember that the Haz-mat fee is the same for one pound as it is for 30-40 pounds. If you have shooting buddies go in together and split the $22.50.