In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ammo Shortage???

MichibayMichibay Member Posts: 816 ✭✭
edited May 2009 in Ask the Experts
I find the current shortage kind of strange and wonder about the "real reasons" for the shortages??? Just heard 22 rim fire is now hard to get as well as .380, 9mm, and .45 auto. First, prices shot up...and now with the high prices...some ammo is quite scarce.
What is really going on????? THANKS!!!

Comments

• Jason.22Jason.22 Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Its all to do with the fear of the new president. The possibility of micro stamping ammo and some other things that will drive the prices of it up. All those things I guess basically making people get it while they can in case it does go up in price more or whatver. I know I am buy it when I see it and stocking up. Hopefully it will calm down and places like walmart will restock back up.
  • ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Simple--panic buying. Folks are worried(with some good reason) that guns are about to be banned, and or the economy & our way of life will collapse. You get a few postings going on message boards about ammo shortages and the next thing ya know ammo REALLY gets scarce--might be a good reason to know how to reload as well as own a gun or two in an unpopular caliber where the ammo isn't as snatched up so fast.
  • Bill JordanBill Jordan Member Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Like .41 Mag VS .45ACP, .25 or.32 VS .380, .270 Vs .308/.30-06. ET AL. I'm talking reloading propositions , of course, and not a duplication pre se.
    Bill Jordan

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than to have a frontal lobotomy."
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The "real reason" is simple: Fixed supply, unprecedented high demand.

There are more gun owners now than ever before in American history, including CCW holders.

There are more law enforcement 'SWAT' type agencies that need ammo for practice and training now than ever before.

The Obama administration election has caused lots of people who otherwise wouldn't have bought guns to buy guns. Of course, they're also buying ammo. Its also caused people who do own guns to stockpile/hoard ammo, in case of future bans or tax increases.

Add this all together, and the manufacturers simply can't keep up with the demand.

At some point people will stop hoarding and supplies will catch up, but nobody knows when that point will be, and it will probably take at least several months to a year.
  • MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Been going on for awhile..
  • BUCKAWHOBUCKAWHO Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi....Tried for some 41 mag shells from Midway. Was told they'd be in last Friday, so call back. Well, I called today (Mon.), and guess what ? They are still sold out, and on backorder ! The ones that cane in Friday went to backorders, but not all were filled. Now...they expect some more by the end of the month ! Sure, reloading works.....if you can get the components ! And that's a big 'IF" ! BT
  • team roper ozzyteam roper ozzy Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    got 2 emails tonight for 7.62 x39 ammo....wolf MC at JG and Bear at ammoman in stock at ammoman.com and jgsales.com..so jump on it while you can[:D]
  • ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    Hoarding. People fear Obama and the Democratic Congress, they're fearful over the economy, and of course there's the good old standby of the fear of zombies.[:D][:o)]
  • Stevan1Stevan1 Member Posts: 138 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ElMuertoMonkey
    Hoarding. People fear Obama and the Democratic Congress, they're fearful over the economy, and of course there's the good old standby of the fear of zombies.[:D][:o)]
    So now I know what that ugly thing was I saw in the woods just behind the rifle range backstop. Sure was slow movin! Took it 15 minutes to cross the range. Shore wish it woulda been in front of the backstop.
  • quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Stevan1
    quote:Originally posted by ElMuertoMonkey
    So now I know what that ugly thing was I saw in the woods just behind the rifle range backstop. Sure was slow movin! Took it 15 minutes to cross the range. Shore wish it woulda been in front of the backstop.

That wasnt a zombie, it was the money you could save by switching to Gieco.

No Idea seems like Olin and ATk arent turning out as much as usual. Smoe people say they are filling contracts, Some people say they havent got back up to full capacity after the DOD brass scare. I dont know whats going on, All I know is If you see ammo for your guns at a reasonable price you should buy as much as you can afford.
  • xstuntmanxstuntman Member Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not hoarder but I did manage to pick up three 100 round boxes of 38spl tonight at Mao Mart and left two boxes[:D] Last night I picked up 2 boxes of 9mm and left about 8 boxes still on the shelves at the local gun shop[:D] I could've bought it all - chose not to. Why be as big an * as most are nowadays? BTW this is the first ammo I've seen in THREE MONTHS! X